Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sinclair MacKie Smith -- Aberdeenshire

Allan1892

The service record for the above named has survived. He enlisted on the 25 February 1916, to Army Reserve 26 February 1916, Mobilised 11 January 1917 and posted to the 10th (Works) Battalion, Royal Scots Fusiliers which, according to the LLT were at Ayr, relocating to Dumbarton at some stage and converted into the 4th Labour Battalion of the Labour Corps in April 1917.

My question is -- Would he have worn the 'normal' cap badge of the RSF?

Perhaps one for @FROGSMILE or @Michelle Young

• Admin

Beyond me I’m afraid. 

57 minutes ago, Allan1892 said:

The service record for the above named has survived. He enlisted on the 25 February 1916, to Army Reserve 26 February 1916, Mobilised 11 January 1917 and posted to the 10th (Works) Battalion, Royal Scots Fusiliers which, according to the LLT were at Ayr, relocating to Dumbarton at some stage and converted into the 4th Labour Battalion of the Labour Corps in April 1917.

My question is -- Would he have worn the 'normal' cap badge of the RSF?

Perhaps one for @FROGSMILE or @Michelle Young

Initially the badge adopted by the Labour Corps was the general service one Allan, although the issue of badge’s might not have occurred overnight depending upon the supply chain situation.

IMG_2647.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thank you both for replying. 

1 hour ago, FROGSMILE said:

Initially the badge adopted by the Labour Corps was the general service one Allan, although the issue of badge’s might not have occurred overnight depending upon the supply chain situation.

I had a feeling that this would have been the case -- 'The wheels of Industry the Army ....'

2 hours ago, Allan1892 said:

Thank you both for replying. 

I had a feeling that this would have been the case -- 'The wheels of Industry the Army ....'

He would have started with the RSF badge, but changed to GS once the Labour Corps was formed and new insignia provided.

• 1 month later...

I couldn't find him when I went on FindMyPast. It appears he has a brother, James Smith, 9570, killed in action in 1915.

12 hours ago, Keith_history_buff said:

I couldn't find him when I went on FindMyPast. It appears he has a brother, James Smith, 9570, killed in action in 1915.

FMP indexed his name as Sinclaix Smith

Thank you for the point towards his brother, James. who was in the Scots Guards. I found his service records several weeks ago. Another fine young man who died for his country.

British Army Service Records 1914-1920 Image | findmypast.co.uk

British Army Service Records 1914-1920 Image | findmypast.co.uk

Thanks, so it's clearly not Ancestry that have an issue with transcription errors. 

I was researching a family member who Ancestry recorded as Tronmoyer.  Bearing inn mind this was C19 Lincolnshire this was a surprise at such a foreign sounding name.  The reality was they were called Ironmonger!