Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

another picture query

chaz

I have played with the original picture which was lighter than this.

I believe it is a picture of soldiers from a local village during/early on in WW1. I believe may contain many of the lads in my signature.

Really looking for recognition of cap badges.

I know my relations were in Gloucestershire, Wiltshire, RE, Northumberland, Warwick and RFA regiments . There were probably other lads in other regiments and that some of the younger brothers might not have been in uniform at the time or changed during the war.

image.jpeg.c482786ab131208b23d961381b9033b2.jpeg

1 hour ago, chaz said:

I have played with the original picture which was lighter than this.

I believe it is a picture of soldiers from a local village during/early on in WW1. I believe may contain many of the lads in my signature.

Really looking for recognition of cap badges.

I know my relations were in Gloucestershire, Wiltshire, RE, Northumberland, Warwick and RFA regiments . There were probably other lads in other regiments and that some of the younger brothers might not have been in uniform at the time or changed during the war.

image.jpeg.c482786ab131208b23d961381b9033b2.jpeg

The vast majority of the badges appear to be Gloucestershire Regiment, chaz.

It’s quite early on in the war and probably Territorials as most have either, obsolescent p1903 Slade Wallace equipment waist-belts, or p1903 Bandolier Equipment.  Also a few have simplified emergency pattern jackets with extra deep patch pockets on the breast.

IMG_2632.jpeg

IMG_2633.jpeg

IMG_2571.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

thanks FS

I was looking at a couple of different cap badges and lack of others also the front row putee's being different heights and missing.

the one in the front row middle, missing cap badge, belt and puttees .

Gloucesters would be right, as the other side of Malmesbury, although in Wiltshire would have been closer to the Glos border

2 minutes ago, chaz said:

thanks FS

I was looking at a couple of different cap badges and lack of others also the front row putee's being different heights and missing.

the one in the front row middle, missing cap badge, belt and puttees .

Gloucesters would be right, as the other side of Malmesbury, although in Wiltshire would have been closer to the Glos border

I think that the image reflects the time and circumstances in the early months after mobilisation was declared.  Old equipment and emergency pattern garments, plus some men in civilian clothing.