Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Langemarck, Belgium street map

ykf519

hello, hoping that someone might have a copy of s street map from Langemarck, Belgium from wartime until about 1930. looking to see where “Klein Mercken Ave.” is located, i cant find it on todays maps

thanks in advance

20 minutes ago, ykf519 said:

hello, hoping that someone might have a copy of s street map from Langemarck, Belgium from wartime until about 1930. looking to see where “Klein Mercken Ave.” is located, i cant find it on todays maps

thanks in advance

@LDT006 

Luc, can you help

I will try.

51 minutes ago, ykf519 said:

“Klein Mercken Ave.”

Should probably be "Kleine Merckem Avenue", wich translates as "Kleine Merkemstraat". You can find this easily with Google.
This road is on trench map squares 20.U.22, 20.U.16 and 20.U.15. There was also a German cemetery there wich is shown on some maps: Am Totenwaldchen.

Hope this helps, Luc.

3 minutes ago, LDT006 said:

I will try.

Should probably be "Kleine Merckem Avenue", wich translates as "Kleine Merkemstraat". You can find this easily with Google.
This road is on trench map squares 20.U.22, 20.U.16 and 20.U.15. There was also a German cemetery there wich is shown on some maps: Am Totenwaldchen.

Hope this helps, Luc.

thank you very much. i googled those trench numbers but nothing came up. is there a place to view them using these numbers?

There are several methods, one of them:

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=15.7&lat=50.92236&lon=2.91661&layers=101464630&b=1

You can use the slider to view current or the old map.

Can you give some details about your search? You might receive better results.

2 hours ago, ykf519 said:

is there a place to view them using these numbers?

Of course, use TrenchMapper. If you put in 20.U.15 and click Convert, you get 261 maps fully georeferenced along with a range of tools not available elsewhere.

Howard

4 minutes ago, mebu said:

Just put Klein Merkemstraat into google maps and it gives modern location.

Peter

The point in Google Maps that gives is at map reference 20.U.9.d.93.83. You can put that into TrenchMapper then click Convert. Select maps in the lower left panel for date and context.

Howard

Klein Merkemstraat.jpg