Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Photographs of RND that include my father

Colin Guy Vokins

Attached are copies of two photographs . My father Guy Charlton Vokins LZ/654 appears in both. He served in Gallipoli until wounded on 13th July 1915. He was discharged from hospital in Plymouth on September 10th returned to Blandford then went on 28 days leave.  After that there were no more diary entries but I know he was at Blandford during 1916 and in Cambridge for officer training from September 1917 to January 1918.

Photograph 1. written on back is 'Blandford Camp'. 3 rows of young RND recruits appear in relaxed mood.  Father is seated left of centre. he is hatless, has a lanyard and a single stripe on his right arm.

photograph 2. In pencil on back what could be 'Gd'.  A formal pose of 2 rows, some identifiable as RND members but others wearing various different hat badges. Father is in back row 4th from the right. Lanyard is evident. In bottom left corner a signature Fred Wright, Andover.

I suspect that these pictures are from 1916-1917. I would be very interested in any observations, particularly on 2.  

Colin

IMG_2168.jpeg

In Image 1 he is wearing the single 'Army' stripe for an Able Seaman (Higher Grade) which dates it after 2 Feb 1917 and before 5 Jun 1917 when he was advanced to Acting Leading Seaman. The location looks like Blandford where, during this period, he was serving in 'A' Reserve Battalion and 2nd Reserve Battalion. ('A' Bn was re-named as 2nd Bn in May 1917.)

I would guess that Image 2 (assorted regiments) was taken at No.2 Officers Cadet Battalion, Pembroke College, possibly when his course formed up in September 1917.

Yous have not mentioned it but, after rating's service in Benbow and Nelson Battalions at Gallipoli and wounding in the Action of Achi Baba Nullah, he was awarded the MC with Hawke Battalion in late-August 1918 and his citation deserves to be re-promulgated here:-

"T./Sub-Lt. Guy Charlton Vokins, Hawke Bn., R.N.D., R.N.V.R. He was severely wounded in an attack but rallied his men and captured a machine gun and pushed on till he fell exhausted with loss of blood. Nevertheless, he still tried to crawl forward, but was unable to move. His courage and tenacity inspired his platoon with the greatest dash and determination."  [LG 31119 - 10 JANUARY 1919]

Edited by horatio2

Thank you for your reply which has clarified Father's Seaman ranks. Also I did not know that he was in Benbow Battalion but that does fit with entries from his diary that read:             30th May left Lemnos.  31st arrived and dug in.10th June learned we were going to be split up. 11th June attached to A Co Nelson, afterwards D Co as range finder. 

Father's Military Cross has been recorded in The Forum in connection with action in Loupart Wood in 1918. I very much appreciate you bringing that to mind.

Hi Colin

I don't know if you have seen this newspaper report from the Hornsey Journal Sept 10th 1915 (Courtesy of FMP Newspapers)

image.png.f6107fe1eb0d2dfd64a0717cd7d510a1.pngimage.png.4f6ba77c56b193d652d9fe22193b4482.png

image.png.fdaa56951e9f4944390e408f0b54011f.png

image.png.d50cd1b2831e0c61594a1e7da25c412d.png

Hope you don't mind me sharing this

Kind Regards

Derek

4 hours ago, Colin Guy Vokins said:

Also I did not know that he was in Benbow Battalion

This statement makes me think that you do not have his RND records from TNA, where his time in Benbow Bn. is clearly laid out. Ignore if you do have them but If you do not have them they can be downloaded free:-

His record as an RND rating is in ADM 339 -   https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D7257251     I would expect to find a similar officer's record in ADM 339 but nothing comes up. Instead, he has an RNVR record in ADM 337:   -   https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D7722930

@Swinesheadvillage - thank you for posting the newspaper cutting - a very explicit account. The Petty Officer WH DENLY mentioned at the start of the  report was not wounded in the same mid-July action but two weeks later. He went on to serve with the RND machine guns in the BEF. earning the Military Cross north of the River Ancre with 189 Bde MG Coy.

Hello Derek

Thank you so much for this. I have the original letters that my father sent to his parents after he was wounded. It is interesting to see it in print. The name Wallace Denly was familiar to me as friend of my father. You might be interested in the attached post card where he appears as PO W. H Denly M.M.

IMG_2170.jpeg

Hi Colin

Thank you so much for sharing, its always a privilege to see almost unique items from a generation long passed. Again, many thanks.

Kind Regards

Derek

PS A coincidence to note is that Wallace Hasker Denly passed away in May 1976, living at Earl Spencer Court,, Peterborough, two streets from where we live. D

The photo of the mixed group of soldiers certainly suggests a collection of OTC candidates, but the photographer is ‘Fred W Bight, Andover’ (which hints more towards Tidworth as a possible location).

MB

Edit - I found a very similar photo…

IMG_2503.jpeg

Edited by KizmeRD

Spot on, @KizmeRD !

A review of his record shows:  VOKINS being drafted from 'A' Reserve Bn. at Blandford to Tidworth from 22 January to 17 March 1917. He later went to Pembroke College Officer Cadet Bn. on 7 September, nearly six months later.

I assume that eight-week Tidworth draft was some sort of weeding/filter course for potential officers.

That was my thoughts too, some sort of selection course - the photos I’ve seen of officer cadets at Cambridge Colleges all tend to show soldiers wearing the white cap band.

MB

In comparison, the above Sub Lt PEWTRESS' route to an RND commission was:  6 November 1917 to 26th Reserve Brigade Wimbledon Common, for course of instruction in the OC Unit;  thence (January 1918?) to No.19 OC Battalion, PIrbright.

The 9 Sep 1919 memorial card is interesting. All four men named record addresses in north London within about one mile of each other (Hornsey and Stroud Green). All but one joined Crystal Palace on 8 and 9 September 1914 and were later drafted into Nelson Battalion, landing on Gallipoli on 29 April 1915.

The exception was Guy VOKINS who did not enlist until 26 October 1914 and was drafted into Benbow Battalion He, arriving at Gallipoli at the end of May 1915, was transferred to Nelson Battalion on 12 June when Benbow was disbanded after the 3rd Battle of Krithia.

All four ratings served together in Nelson Bn. ‘A’ Company at ANZAC (not VOKINS) and at Cape Helles (PEWTRESS in 16 Section, No.4 Platoon). Their later RND service would send them in different directions:

·       Guy VOKINS wounded 13 July 1915 and repatriated, thence to Hawke commission in 1918 (MC).

·       Herbert PEWTRESS to hospital (sick) 14 August 1915 and repatriated, thence Howe Bn BEF and to Anson commission in 1918.

·       Wallace DENLY saw out the Gallipoli campaign (despite GSW and Piles) and, on arrival in the BEF, joined the RND machine guns (MM).

·       William BLAND also survived Gallipoli and, in the BEF, joined DENLY in the 189 Bde MG Coy where he was seriously wounded in the Battle of the Ancre and repatriated. While serving in the RND Regimental Depot, Aldershot, he was advanced to Acting Petty Officer (paid) in the week before the Armistice.

All demobilised by early May 1919, is it possible that the post-war RND Association brought them back together for this joint commemoration?

RND was very different in character to equivalent army units. There wasn’t always a huge social chasm between officers and ratings, and many promoted from the lower deck remained with the Division once they became junior officers,

MB

AN RND commission was also very attractive to Army officer cadets and many grabbed the chance to emerge from OCU as a Sub Lt RNVR (for RND) in preference to a more lowly-paid Army Second Lieutenant

Thank you for all the interest and comments which have been most helpful. The attached photos confirm the white cap bands. The picture is taken from the Magazine BUZZ which contains details of many who underwent officer training ay Pembroke College.

IMG_2175.jpeg

IMG_2180.jpeg