Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cpl. W T Dampies - 1st Btn Cape Corps - German East Africa Service

TomP

Hi all

Just wanted to share the details of a chap who's bi-lingual South African victory medal I am the custodian of. Prior to picking up the medal I was unaware of the Cape Corps during the Great War and I'm still in the process of doing much reading. 

The medal is named to Cpl. W T Dampies - C. C. 

Using the book 'The Story of the 1st Battalion Cape Corps (1915-1919)' and checking the nominal roll towards the back I managed to locate his Service No. as 1636. This is not included on his medal. 

DampiesNominalRoll.JPG.cb7dc7ca0d62d7f40923e6ccff59c59e.JPG

Dampies.JPG.22dc89b61c832a6ca63dd9edb66035b0.JPG

Source: The Story of the 1st Battalion Cape Corps (1915-1919) - The story of the 1st Battalion Cape Corps, 1915-1919 (sahistory.org.za)

I note that his medal has been issued with the rank of Corporal (promoted October 1917) - yet the roll advises he was reverted to Private in June 1918. Would anybody have any ideas why this is likely to have happened. Possibly a disciplinary measure? I don't know much about the Colonial units during the war. 

The only other records I have found are on the Forces War Records site when I still had access. I only had the index sheets not original documents but they advise he was reported missing on 26/11/1917 but then confirmed as not missing on 30/11/1917 - this also lists him as Private still but presumably a clerical error:

Missing.JPG.595855695b2694b758a51f857f25d487.JPG

Source: Forces War Records

NotMissing.JPG.7872d9e1b658ba92f2be5528ad6932c5.JPG

Source: Forces War Records

Would anybody else be able to give me anymore insight/tips in finding out more about Dampies (including any sources you can point me towards!) or just any comments in general RE this chap and his wartime service. A skim of the book mentioned above only brings his name up in the roll, would have been amazing to have a photo etc but that is always needle in a haystack these sorts of things!

I look forward to seeing what people think. 

All the best
Tom

Hi Tom,

I have no financial links with the following person. They are a researcher in South Africa, whom a friend has hired to go to the archives in Pretoria

https://www.facebook.com/NELMedalResearch/

Rhino Research have also been mentioned on the forum as providing professional research services to medal collectors and genealogists.

Hope this is of use.

Cheers
Keith

Thanks @Keith_history_buff

I have used Nel before for WW2 research and it was excellent. I was unsure whether they do the same research (or if the records exist) for WW1 recipients but I have dropped him an email so will see.

Cheers

Tom

In prior years, ForcesWarRecords would record details that were in the public domain, and put it behind their paywall.

The NLS reference is a giveaway that these are hosted by the National Library of Scotland, and can be viewed online, free of charge. NLS is useful for these lists, Army Lists, and I gather they have trench maps too.

Hope this is of use to you. I don't use this, as I have found it hard to navigate.

https://digital.nls.uk/british-military-lists/archive/144481815

@Keith_history_buff Thank you so much for the pointer, this is far better than the rubbish index FWR generates - though I appreciate without the sources I would be out of luck anyway. I managed to find both entries with your help:

Missing.JPG.47ac57fbd26fece6d49232d579e15c40.JPG

NotMissing.JPG.718a459139af9d9a2da1dcd735e6fb7e.JPG

Source: National Library of Scotland

Hi all. For those interested Dewald Nel has come back with some excellent archival research for Pte. (Cpl) Willie Thomas Dampies of the Cape Corps and I will post some aspects of this below.

Firstly, his attestation papers highlight both his fairly senior age of 31 at enlistment - but also interestingly shows that he served on some capacity in the Boer War prior to the Great War. One attestation form lists him as 'Aberdeen (SA) Town Guard' and the other as 'Scout' in the Boer war. I wonder how the two roles related, otherwise the attestation forms seem duplicated:

Form 1:
Attestation1.JPG.57737868bf6b7288d59d7a5787d5e2f2.JPG

Form 2:
Attestation2.JPG.ce420e72911e2b325c3d03e8b621c8cc.JPG

I also now have his Service Record which interestingly includes the evidence of his demotion to Private found in The Story of the 1st Battalion Cape Corps (1915-1919) mentioned in my first post. 

Front Page:
ServiceRecordFrontPage.JPG.c552423f4dc41bda8ae78a7749cfc9a5.JPG

Disciplinary and Demotion:
ServiceRecordDiscliplineDemotion.JPG.421b8f2127632d0797cfcbdf096eaf81.JPG

Edited by TomP
Updated name of recipient

The documents have also revealed a rather unfortunate recurring case of Malaria throughout his wartime service. Understandable given the environment (looks like he mostly served in modern day Tanzania from what I can decipher). Also interestingly, he faces a reprimand in July 1917 for not using his mosquito net when sleeping, something he likely regretted but seemingly didn't learn from based on the recurrence of Malaria during his service.

Mosquito net reprimand:
MosquitoNetDisciplinary.JPG.9468ee22c5ec7e2c3e3430b621de3913.JPG

Record of Malaria resulting in eventual medical reports:
Malaria1.JPG.04db368ad318dab7bc9defe58cb916b0.JPG

Malaria2.JPG.e827280ec558adf4cbaeda464ec66cb7.JPG

Malaria3.JPG.40eee4e0af8a5ec5e565c62567532e85.JPG

Finally for now, his discharge document for January 1919. Throughout his service record are various disciplinary actions and forfeiture of pay (most commonly due to drunkenness) so I imagine this is why his final Military Character was described as 'Fair'.

Discharge Form as Private:
DischargeDampies.JPG.f8112fab42b67889bd0f2d0e3d4ef519.JPG

Let me know if anybody has anything else to add or that I should be looking for (anybody with experience looking at South African service records would be helpful!) or just comments in general. Regardless, I hope you all find this interesting!

Cheers
Tom