Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Please help identify this bayonet

Tate

1907 Pattern bayonet for the Lee-Enfield MkIII SMLE rifle made at the Lithgow Small Arms factory in Australia in April 1942. The scabbard was made by Mangrovite Belting Ltd. The grips were made by Slazenger Sporting Goods Co.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pattern_1907_bayonet

Edited by peregrinvs

The Slazenger sporting goods company had their factory in the Sydney suburb of Alexandria. They manufactured rifle stocks, bayonet grips, wood buts for Bren guns and a variety of ammunition boxes. In the office they had a wall painted white with black silhouettes of the various items they had manufactured during the war and the quantities of each.

They were my client in the early 90s. I so wish I had taken a camera and photographed that wall.

Interesting. I knew Slazenger had made P1907 / Owen SMG bayonet grips, but I didn’t know they’d made SMLE and Bren furniture as well. I own an Australian Bren gun, so at some point I shall see if I can find any maker marks on the butt.

When the SLR was adopted, the original model had a wooden carry handle, they made those as well. They actually made all the wood furniture for the original SLR.

8 hours ago, peregrinvs said:

but I didn’t know they’d made SMLE and Bren furniture as well.

Indeed, here’s a SMLE buttstock & forearm (not the best photos, but it’s all I had on hand):

IMG_2812.jpeg

IMG_2813.jpeg

:thumbsup:

• 1 month later...
On 21/02/2024 at 18:21, peregrinvs said:

Interesting. I knew Slazenger had made P1907 / Owen SMG bayonet grips, but I didn’t know they’d made SMLE and Bren furniture as well. I own an Australian Bren gun, so at some point I shall see if I can find any maker marks on the butt.

Slazenger also made the cleaning kit pouches and webbing for the Bren

kind regards

Was curious as to whether or not the Slazenger factory in Alexandria still existed and whether I may be able to photograph the wall with the records of their wartime production.

The site has been fully demolished and its a vacant block of land.  9 Bowden St Alexandria.