Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Navy Boy Domestic

GRW

My grandfather was a Boy Domestic in the Royal Navy from 1906 to1907, joining at the age of 17. On discharge in 19078 he joined the RFA

His record of service exists at the TNA: CWK Royay navy Records - TNA - ADM-188-556-364586.pdfADM 188/556/364586

What was a Boy Domestic? What did they do?  He seems old to be a "boy"

His record sheet is difficult to read but I assume the ships listed are shore based?

I cannot read why he was discharged although on his army record it states ...services no longer required.

Can anyone be of help or suggest a contact?

With thanks

Graham

He was to be trained as an Officers Steward, or possibly a Cook.

Ratings did not attain Man status until age 18 when their time started counting towards pension & award of RN LS (Long Service) medal. Service under age 18 was Boy Service & did not recon for pension or LS medal.

I am unable to open the link to his ADM 188,  thus unable to determine cause of discharge from RN, but possibly as he was found unsuitable for some reason(s) in his rate.

As a Domestic he signed on to a Non-Continuous Service (NCS) engagement, so the notes about pension and LS&GC Medal do not apply (in most cases). Men could engage for NCS one commission at a time. In this case he seems to have engaged to age 23  (notionally to 1912) but was discharged shore after only one day in the battleship HMS ALBEMARLE. After initial training at Portsmouth RN Barracks (HMS VICTORY) he had also served in the cruiser HMS LATONA   -   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Latona_(1890)   and in the cruiser HMS AMETHYST   -   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Amethyst_(1903)

On 21 August 1907 he was discharged from the RN to "Shore" but the reason for discharge is unreadable. As a boy under 18 there may have been a get-out-early option to his \NCS engagement. NCS men (per 1913 regulations) could not be required to serve more than five years from date of entry.

This man's service falls before the WW1 subject of this Forum so will probably be locked.