Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CWGC Excel Spreadsheet version Cemetery list's

andrew pugh

Hi All

We are trying to find out how many forum members out there have copies of CWGC Excel Spreadsheet versions cemetery list's The ones which list the known and the unknown casualties. My friend and I are trying to find out just how many are out there. We were wondering if there were, would It be a good idea to pool them so people can research some of the casualties on them and hopefully try get them identified. I have the following ones

Grevillers British Cemetery

Bancourt British Cemetery

Delsaux Farm

Lebucquiere Communal Cemetery Extension.

We look forward to your replies.

Regards

Andy and Simon.   

Andy is taking about sheets that look like this - are there any more around...? Thanks for any help we get.

Simon

AndyExcelCWGC.png.7b63610de8bbfa36126756c983e35f98.png

1 hour ago, Simon Birch said:

Andy is taking about sheets that look like this - are there any more around...? Thanks for any help we get.

Oh I see.  I hadn't twigged from the original post, but that would have been my fault.

PM me and I'll put you in touch with at least 1 organisation.  A few weeks ago I received a spreadsheet from a cultural institution with 10,000 names.  They wanted bulk conversion of concentration records to modern lat, lons.  Five years before I did several thousand for them.  I ended up giving them a web page so that they could bulk convert themselves.  Their data is in this format:

image.png.df16b1f0e7e3790b412f57c9e841173d.png

This appears to me to match this man: so they have put a heck of a lot of work into the project.  This is from the Aeroplane Military Cemetery COG-BR.

image.png.214eba51705d701cc5f8126462d6cd01.png

The other approach is via the Canadians.  I have a relatively small spreadsheet called Annex C – Canadians at Maple Copse Cemetery with burial locations from War Graves Register.  They put in a massive effort to help someone in 2019 research a relative and it led me to suspect they had digitised Canadian casualties either with names engraved on a panel or bodies exhumed and reburied.  It was back in 2019 but I thought the Canadian Armed Forces had done the extensive research.  I still have the original contact on disk.

If your project ends up collecting data, I am happy to put it on a web-based database for you to manage and share.  It's how we store our maps and points of interest.  I put Richard Laughton's list of original IWGC cemeteries in to cross check original IWGC cemeteries against exhumations.

Cheers, Bill

Thanks Bill.

PM Sent.

Simon