Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Machine Gun Corps qualification patches

Hogenaker

Good evening,

I was wondering if anyone can add anything to the existence and issue of “classes” of machine gunners and their qualifications. 
I have attached an image from ‘ British Army Proficiency Badges’ by Denis Edward’s and David Langley; 1984. This was, at the time,  the definitive text and is still often quoted. But research must have moved on either personal or published. So what I am asking is whether someone is willing to shed light on the ‘unofficial’ status of the patches and the reference to “classes” of gunner. I have never seen photographic evidence of their existence but I have seen cloth IMG_7846.jpeg.1da593e1f7b301272a82fbc7939e7100.jpegexamples.

thanks in anticipation

19 hours ago, Hogenaker said:

Good evening,

I was wondering if anyone can add anything to the existence and issue of “classes” of machine gunners and their qualifications. 
I have attached an image from ‘ British Army Proficiency Badges’ by Denis Edward’s and David Langley; 1984. This was, at the time,  the definitive text and is still often quoted. But research must have moved on either personal or published. So what I am asking is whether someone is willing to shed light on the ‘unofficial’ status of the patches and the reference to “classes” of gunner. I have never seen photographic evidence of their existence but I have seen cloth IMG_7846.jpeg.1da593e1f7b301272a82fbc7939e7100.jpegexamples.

thanks in anticipation

Forum member @Muerrisch will be the best person to answer your specific questions I think.

Regretably [as co-author] all I can add is that the FIRST class Vickers Machine Gunner was distinguished by the conventional MG in wreath, so the conjectures remain suspect ....... The First offered is obviously either wrong or post-Great War, the official badge is dating from 1914 [from memory .............. I am sure the ref. is in the book  upstairs!]

There is a very good Vickers MG forum and website out in hyperspace, therein may lie your answer.

Three more thoughts: some  unusual badges turn out to be forTerritorials, with lower qualification criteria;

secondly the badges illustrated existed as artefacts well before faking became widespread, so may well have a provenance

thirdly they may be demi-official, as unit purchase to encourage competition. Provided the inspecting General was not a martinet, far from unknown practice.