Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Can someone with access please check if RAeC database includes these names?

force136

I am looking for photo of the following and wondering if in RAeC database...

1. 2nd Lieutenant / Lieutenant Henry Daniel Lysons joined December 1916-made FO May 1917. 

2. 2nd Lieutenant Valentine Richard Hicks Farnborough - March 1918 period

3. 2nd Lieutenant William Ewart Wright - FO - 23 February 1918

Thanks

They are the Royal Aero Club pilots certificates. Many, but not all, RFC pilots were given these as proof of qualification. They 

contain a photo of the pilot. I believe the RAF Museum archives holds all the originals but there are databases on Ancestry etc.

1 hour ago, force136 said:

but there are databases on Ancestry etc.

A search of Great Britain, Royal Aero Club Aviators’ Certificates, 1910-1950 on Ancestry produces no 'hits' for the names you are looking for (as per David's post above)

Jefford in 'Observers and Navigators' (updated edition) page 47, says: Recognising that the RFC's Flying Certificate reflected a far higher standard of competence than its own, the RAeC agreed to issue its 'ticket' to any pilot who could produce evidence to show that he had been certified by the military.  By the summer of 1916 more than 3,000 RAeC Certificates had been issued but it was becoming increasingly common for pilots to neglect to inform the Club authorities that they had graduated, often because they were packed off to France as replacements before they had time to attend to this chore.

And:

"All pilots who had qualified up to and including August (1916) were, therefore, automatically and retrospectively granted their RAeC Certificates (although not all of them were claimed).  For pilots who qualified thereafter, the CFS documentation alone was deemed to be sufficient proof of their competence to fly military aeroplanes."

I have a note that after August 1916, The Royal Aero Club charged a one guinea fee for the Certificate, so they were not 'given' to pilots. 

Graeme

On 22/02/2024 at 17:01, force136 said:

. They 

contain a photo of the pilot. I believe the RAF Museum archives holds all the originals but there are databases on Ancestry etc.

I understand that there were four photo albums of pilots that qualified but one of them is missing. lts the one covering the early war period.