Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Candle Lantern

reese williams

I'm trying to help a fellow lantern collector learn about candle lanterns. I've never dug into the subject enough to be able to answer his question. Was there a pattern or issue British candle lantern. I know many would have been private purchase items. Any enlightenment appreciated. The lantern in question.

Johnslantern.jpeg.723f1dc6d6e72a96c16e9a999260129d.jpeg

There is a standard pattern British collapsible candle lantern (folds flat and goes in a metal carry tin). I have an Australian made example and this has broad arrow acceptance stamps. Although I have never seen the List of Changes entry recording them as an official item of stores, they appear to be an official item.

Another very common type of candle lamp is the "Siege Lamp" these are a pattern of candle lantern made for the artillery, to be fitted to aiming posts to be used with the prismatic sight for indirect fire. They were carried with two lamps in a wood box. These were manufactured and used in both world wars. The Mk I has an oval shaped access hatch to light the lamp, the Mk II has a rectangular sliding hatch. The candle is fitted in the tube under the lamp with a spring loaded plunger so that the wick and flame are always in the same position as the candle is consumed.

Picture 1 of 14