Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1914 - 1918 British Service Medal

A Rowland

Hi, 

I am a first time user of this forum and I registered to obtain help, regarding a 1914 - 1918 Service Medal that I came across maybe 35 years or so ago.

I found it in a house that I bought.

It is the Medal only, no ribbon.

The name and number inscribed on the edge is, 143888 SPR ( Sapper, I presume ) T Bennett R E.

I'm fairly confident that it is one of the silver coloured ones that was issued.

Probably worth maybe £40.00 ish if I sold it on eBay.

However, I am not interested in selling this medal, nor do I want it to go to someone who might want to make a few pounds profit. 

It is just sat at the back of a drawer.

I hope that it might be given to someone, or organisation who will value the history of what this person did, as a member of the British armed forces, in helping our country remain free.

Hopefully somebody will come along and point me in the right direction. 

Thank you.

Albert.

Thank you ( Keith_history_buff )

I have sent an email to them asking the same question, so I will see how that goes.

I appreciate your assistance.

Best regards,

Albert Rowland.

Albert,

I admire your sentiment in wishing to return the medal to someone who appreciates its intrinsic value rather than its monetary value. 
Over a number of years I became involved twice in returning medals to the original recipient’s families and it’s a good feeling to know they appreciate the effort involved on their behalf. 
A couple of things you may wish to consider are firstly if you find a family member try to be sure that they appreciate it rather than view it as something to sell for their own ends (it’s not unheard of). 
Secondly, beware of donating it to a regimental museum. There have been threads on here that indicate that some well meaning donations have been sold on to raise funds to keep the museums open. This I would imagine would be the more common items such as the medal you currently hold. Good luck with your quest.

Simon

Thank you for your thoughts Simon.

I was leaning to thinking a Regimental museum might be interested, but I had hoped from a sentimental reason and not a monetary one.

Personally, I do not want it, but I couldn't bear the thought of throwing it away, it needs to be appreciated.

I hope somewhere I get a good solution.

Again, many thanks,

Albert.

Albert,

if you don’t end up finding an appreciative current family member then I wonder if a local school may value it. Some do seem to include remembrance projects in their studies though I suppose ultimately it may end up sold to enhance school funds.

Simon

Welcome Albert,

Thomas Bennett’s medal index card is here on ancestry, https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discoveryui-content/view/3951957:1262?tid=&pid=&queryId=d95e8fcb-2f9e-4a06-b3a1-95326024e358&_phsrc=osC4&_phstart=successSourcehe was entitled to the British war medal, and the victory medal.
Personally, I would consider selling if no other option was available, a collector would research and value it….you could always donate any funds raised towards a charity or cause that you feel fit.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Dave.

Thank you Dave,

I will see where my query leads and then consider my options.

However, I will keep your suggestion in mind.

Many thanks,

Albert.