Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

South Staffordshire Regiment

SOMMESOLDIER

Hi There, :)

Does anyone know about a T.A. Centre which was on Newhampton Road, Wolverhampton. My Mom remembers it during the 1930's and 40's, maybe later ? It was later demolished.

Cheers

Tim.

Hi Tim,

According to the July 1936 Army List, the 6th Bn, The South Staffordshire Regt had its headquarters at Stafford Street, Wolverhampton. The Bn's HQ had been in Wolverhampton ab origine. No info on Newhampton Road alas. but hopefully Stafford Street gives you a clue.

Cheers,

Wienand

Hi Wienand, :rolleyes:

Thanks for the reply. I'm aware of the Stafford Street one, some brick work with the Staffordshire Knot e.t.c, is still there.

When my mom told me about the one on Newhampton Road, I was unsure because this isn't very far from Stafford Street, but she said she was sure. So I thought I'd ask on here.

One thought was that it may have been Artillery or something ??

Cheers

Tim.

hello tim,

the 'wolverhampton red book' 1914 (page 116) states that d squadron staffordshire yeomanry and 3rd north midland bridage royal field artillery were based at newhampton road.

hope this helps

enoch

Hi Enoch, :)

Thats great mate, just the information I wanted. At least I know my Mom isn't going mad !!!!! :D

Cheers

Tim.

Tim

Newhampton Road did have a drill hall, converted to apartments after partial demolition a few years ago.

Enoch's units are correct, the gunners and Yeomanry sharing the premises known as the riding school. The artillery units were the HQ, 4th (Staffordshire) Battery and ammunition column of the 3rd North Midland Brigade RFA.

The premises were opened on July 1st 1911, and were latterly used as a BT telepone exchange.

I have a number of photos taken as workmen were removing the roof, having arrived just in time to record one of the first entries in my drill hall project.

I'll send you copies by email if you wish.

Graeme

Hi Graeme, :)

That would be great . Thank you very much.

Cheers

Tim.

• 2 months later...
Tim

Newhampton Road did have a drill hall, converted to apartments after partial demolition a few years ago.

Enoch's units are correct, the gunners and Yeomanry sharing the premises known as the riding school. The artillery units were the HQ, 4th (Staffordshire) Battery and ammunition column of the 3rd North Midland Brigade RFA.

The premises were opened on July 1st 1911, and were latterly used as a BT telepone exchange.

I have a number of photos taken as workmen were removing the roof, having arrived just in time to record one of the first entries in my drill hall project.

I'll send you copies by email if you wish.

Graeme

Please email me a few of the photos of that drill hall. It's related to research on my great uncle.

Thanks

Ray