Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gallipoli Tug Identification

Rockturner

Hoping someone on the forum can help me identify a tug boat supposedly operating off Anzac named EFFIE or EFI. I have tried to several sources to pin this one down including CLIP but no luck so far

Perhaps it was purchased from the Greeks and EFFIE was a colloquial slang or a shortened name.

Thanks

LonerangerVC

Numerous tugs (10 ?) were purchased from Greece before the Gallipoli landings but it has proved while nigh impossible to track them down by allocated name/number/employment. The tugs were maids-of-all-work throughout the campaign.

The only trace I have found of EFI is in the ship's log of HMS BLENHEIM on 8 June 1915 at Kephalo Bay, Imbros"7.00pm: Arrived Renard, Foxhound, Scourge, Humber, Efi."   https://s3.amazonaws.com/oldweather/ADM53-35574/0062_0.jpg  

Horatio2,

The subject of these tugs has surfaced before with T7 - T10 assigned to Anzac.

I checked the name out on Google and it states that:.

"Effie is a feminine name of Greek origin to teach baby the power of their voice.

A shortened form of the name Euphemia, Effie means well spoken.

Effie may also derive from GAELIC.

Not only is it a cute modern version of a vintage name, but it also

reminds baby that the words they speak can hold plenty of weight".

So there we have it, problem solved.

I'm thinking that whilst this tug may have fallen with the number sequencing of this T series of tug boats, the name 'Efffie' may have been painted across the bow much the same as USAAC bomber crews did to their aircraft in WW2.

Many Thanks

LonerangerVC

If you have hit a wall, and if you have access to Kew, this might be worth exploring:

Reference:     ADM 137/1143/1

• Folios 68-79: Steamers and small craft for Dardanelles: lists with names and tonnage, 22 July 1915, (paper M 05257/15).
  • Folios 80-91: Lighters as water carriers, lists with names, 10 August 1915, (paper M 06095/15).
  • Folios 92-103: Tugs as to future service in Eastern Mediterranean, (particularly the Tug Hardy), (paper T28286/15). Lists with names of tugs, owners, port where fitting, supervising officer and date of despatch.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C12296934

Cheers,

Glen,

In Our Dominion of the North

Cheers Glen,

Most kind. I'll look into these references against the files I already possess.

LonerangerVC