Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with casualty form

Ewan

Hi.  I'm hoping someone can help interpret / explain the entries on this casualty form from my great grandfather's service records.

For context, he was in the 5th Cameron Highlanders and on the 3rd May 1917, according to their war diary, were just east of Arras.

I can make out 'GSW Chest' - so he got shot.  But what are the words/abreviations/acronyms before and after that text?

Also, what's the place name? I can't really make it out and can't find any place names in the vacinity that it could be.  Might it be a trench name?  Many of the trenches there had names beginning with 'C'.  Is there a list of trench names anywhere?  I've not been able to find one myself.

Thanks.

5.jpg

21 minutes ago, Ewan said:

Hi.  I'm hoping someone can help interpret / explain the entries on this casualty form from my great grandfather's service records.

For context, he was in the 5th Cameron Highlanders and on the 3rd May 1917, according to their war diary, were just east of Arras.

I can make out 'GSW Chest' - so he got shot.  But what are the words/abreviations/acronyms before and after that text?

Also, what's the place name? I can't really make it out and can't find any place names in the vacinity that it could be.  Might it be a trench name?  Many of the trenches there had names beginning with 'C'.  Is there a list of trench names anywhere?  I've not been able to find one myself.

Thanks.

5.jpg

The long long trail states 

No 4 General Hospital 

No

St Nazaire Sep 14;

Versailles Sep 14 - Jan 16; Camiers Jan 16 - Apr 19; Dunkerque Apr 19 - Nov 19

So the place name in C is Camiers where the No 4 General Hospital was based from January 1916 to April 1929 and where he received treatment for the Gun Shot Wound

7 hours ago, Ken Lees said:

GSW can be (and most often is) a shell wound, rather than a bullet wound.

That's interesting to know. Either way, it's a hole or two you didn't have at breakfast and was certain to ruin your day!

Also, according to the war diary entry for the day, they were under friendly artillery fire during the action. 

Thanks all for the info.  Much appreciated.