Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Henry Balsillie 9074 Royal Scots

jksantee

• Admin

Sadly (if that's the right word), I see he had a son, Donald Henry, born 9th November 1917 - just a month after being KiA.

Regards

Russ

3 hours ago, RussT said:

Sadly (if that's the right word), I see he had a son, Donald Henry, born 9th November 1917 - just a month after being KiA.

Regards

Russ

Donald is my grandfather! and yes, that's correct.  i've always wondered how that worked.  Now that I know (thanks to you) that he wasnt just a war-time enlistee, i'm sure he went home on some kind of leave to spend time with his wife

is this the star medal roll you're referring to? i had this in his ancestry record - still looking for the service record

Screenshot 2024-02-18 173731.png

• Admin
10 hours ago, jksantee said:

found the 4 page service record!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know what you are doing but he has about 49 pages in his record - a few pages are duplicated but even so there is about an order of magnitude more pages than just 4.

Some of them make interesting reading.

If, after devouring and digesting every word in his Record, there is something that you don't quite understand and/or require a bit more context/clarification then feel free to post your queries here and we'll do our best to provide answers.

Regards

Russ

• Admin
10 hours ago, jksantee said:

is this the star medal roll you're referring to?

No, that is his Medal Index Card (MIC) which was created from the Medal Roll(s) in order to tell the medal manufacturers what details to put on his medals.

The Medal Rolls themselves normally have a bit more information on them e.g. the Battalion(s) in which a man served - which I let you know in earlier posts

Ancestry Links to his Medals Rolls are here:

1914 Star:

UK, World War I Service Medal and Award Rolls, 1914-1920 - Ancestry.co.uk

VM/BWM:

Russ

2 hours ago, RussT said:

No, that is his Medal Index Card (MIC) which was created from the Medal Roll(s) in order to tell the medal manufacturers what details to put on his medals.

The Medal Rolls themselves normally have a bit more information on them e.g. the Battalion(s) in which a man served - which I let you know in earlier posts

Ancestry Links to his Medals Rolls are here:

1914 Star:

VM/BWM:

Russ

ok i'm doing something wrong - the search that gave me the 4 pages of his service record took me to fold.com

i think i need to join the uk version of ancestry because even with the world membership, i'm only seeing 4 pages of records

6 hours ago, RussT said:

I don't know what you are doing but he has about 49 pages in his record - a few pages are duplicated but even so there is about an order of magnitude more pages than just 4.

Some of them make interesting reading.

If, after devouring and digesting every word in his Record, there is something that you don't quite understand and/or require a bit more context/clarification then feel free to post your queries here and we'll do our best to provide answers.

Regards

Russ

can you give me the link where you found those 49 pages?

ok my apologies for taxing your time - i found the records

looks like he got in trouble a time or two  :)