Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Learning about maps

SunDodginDoc

PXL_20240218_102206958.jpg.cbb8ad53baa7ef89ab826eb7723a6cce.jpgHallo, chums.

I'm trying to read around the War Diary for the 3rd Bn Wellington Regiment on the 4,5,6 Oct 17.

Is 'Infantry Tape Line' the 'Start Line'?

The map from which these photos is in the diary so I'm aiming it's correct but the references given in the diary for the boundary of the Blue line don't seem to seem be on the line. Am I looking the wrong map, or reading the grid references wrong? The x in a circle is my interpretation.

PXL_20240218_100636047.jpg

PXL_20240218_101913462.jpg

The easiest way to find maps of the area is TrenchMapper.

On your map is Abraham Heights, you can put just Abraham into the Advanced Search box and up it pops. On your post it has a map reference, D.10.d.23.05 but that needs a sheet number to complete it. As Abraham Heights comes up in sheet 28, the reference becomes 28.D.10.d.23.05.

Once there, select maps in the lower left panel. You can then use the other map reference as 28.D.10.a.05.10

Howard

Abraham.jpg

@SunDodginDoc your map reading is fine but the war diary has used the term Blue Line when I think the compiler meant Jumping Off Point.  This point, marked physically with tape, fits the dashed line showing as Infantry Tape Line on your second map extract.  I suspect the correct wording should have been:  "The Boundary of the TAPE LINE for the 3rd Wellingtons "...

image.png.0f9429894fcdb3a6d5c80ab3c22b56d1.png

@Howard, @WhiteStarLine Thank you both for clarifyimg things for me. It makes a whole lot more sense now, especially as I had subdivided the '10' square incorrectly instead o 'a' top left and going clockwise, I had it  borttom left and went anti-clockwise. What a dufus!

The British map reference system is rather odd. It is explained in TrenchMapper Help->Knowledge Centre.

Howard