Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Captain / Major N D MacKenzie 29th Regiment Highland Light Infantry of Canada

Robuk88

I have trying to research Major N D MacKenzie the closest match i have found is Captain N D MacKenzie of the 29th Regiment Highland Light Infantry of Canada or at least who was in 1915. Would anyone be able to give me any information or at least his full name?

Thanks in advance.

AA.jpg

3 hours ago, Robuk88 said:

Would anyone be able to give me any information or at least his full name?

His full name is Norman Day MacKenzie; date of birth 27th July 1887; born Galt, Waterloo County, Ontario. His service record can be seen (free of charge) at the Canadian Archives by following the link below. (attached image courtesy of the Canadian Archives)

central.bac-lac.gc.ca/.item/?op=pdf&app=CEF&id=B6980-S043

MacKenzie.jpg

Edited by Allan1892

Attached snippet image (courtesy of the Canadian Archives) confirms that he reached the rank of Major.

MacKenzie 2.jpg

1 minute ago, Allan1892 said:

Attached snippet image (courtesy of the Canadian Archives) confirms that he reached the rank of Major.

MacKenzie 2.jpg

Thank you Allan for this information exactly what i needed very much appreciated.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Stevend said:

Would this officer have seen active serive in France?

He sailed from Halifax, Nova Scotia on the 25th September 1916 for England. He remained in England, returning to Canada in January 1917 and was struck off the battalion's strength on the 13th March 1917.

So no active service  it would be interesting to find out what happened  after only 4 months in England  then returned and struck of within 2 mknths of returning home 

He was based at Shorncliffe, a major Canadian camp in Kent.

He was transferred to the 17th Reserve Battalion on the 8th October 1916, transferred back to the 111th Battalion on the 13th October 1916.

Hospitalised with influenza on the 9th November 1916, discharged to duty on the 23rd November.

Taken on strength of the 4th Reserve Battalion on the 4th January 1917.

Proceeded to Ottawa, Canada, on the 26th January 1917.

Struck off battalion's strength 13th March 1917.

Wow  thanks  here's me thinking he'd done something silly like stole the mess silver