Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Found Forgotten War Memorial

egbert

For those of you who followed over the years here on forum the fate/stories/pictures of my Granddad will be as much surprised as myself: some time ago I found a picture postcard from the 1930s. My Grandmother in memory of her husband, KIA1 May 1918, kept the postcard . It showed a war memorial with the names of all killed members of Infanterieregiment 49. I thought it is a lost memorial somewhere in today's Poland (because the regiment was stationed in peace time in Posen which was a German province by the time). When I looked closer to the picture I realized a town's name I was not familiar with. Some research in the web showed me a location in East Germany. The town's name has changed since, but in my euphoria i wrote to the towns authorities. After some emails back and forth between Alabama and Gross Boernecke, I received digital pictures of the "lost" memorial. They say it is maintained and each year at Remembrance Day there even is a wreath laying ceremony by the local "Schuetzenverein". On this way I'd like to share my emotions with you about the wonderful memorial some 1000km away from Posen in a little town in East Germany that remembers IR49! I don’t know why it is located there, but it sure is a great story.

Here is the original postcard from the 1930s

post-80-1113949913.jpg

Congratulations Egbert................Another chapter of your Grandfathers story completed..........You must be very pleased..............From the close up of the panel, it would appear the the memorial is indeed well maintained.....something which is always gratifying because it shows those on it are not forgotton.

Egbert,

Great stuff, I am very happy for you.

Andy

Excellent.... I share in your enthusiaism and am very excited for you since all you hard work has returned such a positive reward.

Andy

Thank you for sharing this, Egbert. I can understand why you are ecstatic. It's a wonderful, moving, story.

I am so very happy for you.

I'm sad, too, though, that you never had the opportunity to know him.

Gwyn

Edited by Dragon

Congratulations Egbert.

You'll celebrate for a couple of days, but then you'll want to know why the memorial is located where it is? There's always something else to find out isn't there? But that's part of the fun!

Cheers,

Stuart

Thanx all for your nice contributions, they mean a lot to me!

I don't think that I can research the "why"-location of the memorial. At least in this little town nobody can answer....

The other thing that I do not understand is : I see 6 boards, let's say each with 20 names, makes it to roughly 120 names of those KIA. The total number of IR 49 KIA between 1914-1918 summed up to exactly 4930. Why only 120???

Congratulations on locating that memorial Egbert.

It does seem strange why only 120 out of 4930 are commemorated. Perhaps these 120 men have a special link to this town?

Cheers

Andrew

Congratulations Egbert,

A great piece of detective work, you must be so pleased. Now I bet you want to find out more.

As has been said- why only 120- have they a connection with the town.

Who has been responsible for the superb condition of the monument- maybe someone from the relevant department of the local council(?) can help you. Often if they don't know, they know someone who does.

Good luck and thanks for sharing the news

Cogratulation, Egbert.

Another piece of the jigsaw in place. I'm pleased for you.

And I'm sure you're looking forward to working out just why the memorial is there. Perhaps the names are just from the period in 1918 when the Regiment was based there?

Best wishes

John

Given the help you have given me with my Grandfather, I am delighted to hear that you have had a positive result with yours!

Well done, and happy hunting!

Adrian

@all:

I am very pleased upon your congrats!

The point with the memorial in a "foreign " village is weird: IR 49 peacetime basing and recruiting center was always the town of Gnesen in German province Posen. There was never a connection to the memorial village, at least until the regiment was disbanded 1919. I have letters from Grandmother and the matching regimental history. Both say that the remnants of the regiment had no rest after returning home (after armistice) late 1918. They immediately had to protect the German population against Pole hordes that drove the German civilians out of the province. The sources say, that the Poles raped, murdered and plundered the German population. Grandmother describes vividly how she fled with my 3 year old father and the other 1 year old brother to Prussia in order to avoid death. Remnants of IR 49 covered the retreat of the civilians of Gnesen and were able to avoid some cruelties. That was more or less the end of the once proud regiment. The surviving men were strewn all over Germany in order to find a new home/work. My Grandmother never lived in the memorial town , the IR 49 memorial is located nowadays (State of Sachsen-Anhalt).

Strange thing isn't it?

Egbert.

Congratulations on the success of your detective work - it must have been an emotional moment when the pictures arrived.

Brilliant news Egbert; I once went to a little village near Backnang, where my friend Klaus showed me a very similar monument to the local men, including his grandfather who was killed in the Heidenkopf at Serre. I had often wondered whether such memorials existed in Germany; it was pleasing to see that they did.