Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

16th Rifle Brigade (Prince Consort's Own) "Operations at Wytschaete fro April 17th to April 20th 1918"

ValeryNorth

Hi!

I see the OP is from over a decade ago,I hope the poster is still active here!

I'm researching my great grandfather's history in the war. I know he was active at the 1st Battle of the Somme 1918, and at the Battles of the Lys 1918, as part of 16/Rifle Brigade. I have a document that was kept in the family for ages, and want to know more about the circumstances:

It reads:

No. 202119 Rifleman W[illiam] A[lfred] Brown (pencilled in "M.M."), The Rifle Brigade

(Printed) The Major-General Commanding the 39th Division wishes to place on record his appreciation of your

(handwritten) Gallant conduct on April 18th during operations at Wytschaete from April 17th to 20th 1918.

Signed by Major-General Cyril Blacklock

I'd love to know more about what this gallant conduct involved, and what the "operations" were - every history of the battle I've found says that from April 18th there was a lull in the fighting as both sides regrouped, and that Wytschaete was in German hands from April 16th.

• Admin

Welcome to the  forum. The OP last visited the forum in 2016. The good news is that you can download the war diaries free of charge after free registration here.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7354217

Also tagging @stiletto_33853 who may be able  to shed some light. 

Hi! I'm new here, researching my great grandfather's experiences in the Great War. In amongst our family records, we have what appears to be a 39th Division "Divisional Honour Card" for him (no. 202119 Rfn. W A Brown - pencilled in it says M.M.). He was in 16/Rifle Brigade (Prince Consort's Own), part of 117th under command of 39th Division. I've already looked up what I can find on Ancestry etc,and can't find a mention of what it was for there. I've also posted on a thread where someone says they have the unit diaries for 16/Rifle Brigade, but hoping for more/other sources as well if possible.

The inscription reads "Gallant conduct on April 18th during operations at Wytschaete from April 17th to 20th 1918."

I've read Chris Baker's excellent book on the Battles of the Lys ("North: Objective Ypres"), and as I understand it from his account, the remnants of 117th, including 16/Rifle Brigade, were part of the 39th Divisional Composite Brigade units that pushed towards Wytschaete (3/39 in Baker's account) late on 16th April. But every account I've found has the action dying down by 18th April, until the German attack to capture Kemmelberg begins on the 25th April. And from 16th April Wytschaete was in German hands.

I would love to find out more about what the operations were that the card refers to generally,and specifically what happened on April 18th and what my great grandfather might have done to earn such recognition.

Any information and assistance gratefully received.

Many thanks,

VN

Thanks Michelle! Registered and downloading no.

I hope it's okay that I posted a new topic as well, asking for info/sources about the same thing?

• Admin

I’ve put both your queries into one thread, making duplicate requests asking the same thing causes confusion and repetition of answers and research. 

War diary of HQ of the South African Infantry Brigade, at least providing some good location info (WO95/1779)

SA1.png

SA2.png

SA3.png

Many thanks, Chris! Following Michelle's advice, I did also find the 3/39th Composite battalion diary, but was stuck after that. The South African Infantry Brigade diary is really helpful. It looks like they thought the 16th Rifle Brigade were also part of King's Royal Rifles, by the reference to "2 companies KRR"? I would guess from the maps in your book and the location information given that the "2 Platoons composite K.R.R." sent to reinforce the line in the 3pm entry might be what I was looking for.

Anyway, thank you so much for your help, I feel like I've learned a lot more about what my great grandfather went through in 1918. The records show he was hospitalised in May and seems not to have returned to France after being sent home. He was demobbed in early 1919.

You can find a lot of the points mentioned above either by searching by name or map reference using TrenchMapper. The references will need the sheet number to start, 28.

e,g,

Scottish Camp 28.G.23.b.2.7
HQ at 28.N.18.b.8.8
Somer Farm at 28.O.14.c.9.2
Awatuni Lines 28.H.23.c.3.8

Howard

Many thanks for pointing me to that resource, Howard!

Definitely helped me visualise what was going on and where the units mentioned must have been lining up.