Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sinking of HMS King Edward VII

aim

I'm sure I have read in the past that the explosion which led to the sinking of HMS King Edward VII was officially caused by a loose mine which had floated away from a minefield (Scapa? Belfast area? Clyde area?), although there were persistent rumours that it was a torpedo (but the government didn't want people to think a U-boot had escaped from the North Sea in case there was panic in the streets).

However, I now see that Bilham, 2024, and Wikipedia, 2024, both say that the explosion was caused by a mine laid by SMS Mowe, without saying where they got the information from. Any ideas?

aim

REFERENCES

Bilham, C. 2024, Lost battleships. 9: HMS King Edward VII. Medal News 62(2):28-29.

Wikipedia, 2024.SMS Mowe. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMS_Mowe

P.S. How do I put an o+umlaut in Mowe?

That Möwe’s mines accounted for King Edward VII is old news. The German official history Der Krieg zur See 1914-1918:  Der Krieg in der Nordsee, volume 5, published in 1925 clearly attributes the loss of King Edward VII  to Möwe’s mines. It includes a map showing where Möwe laid her mines in the area.

9 hours ago, KizmeRD said:

You’ll find a more detailed account of the sinking here…

https://archive.org/details/britishbattleshi0000burt/page/246/mode/1up?q=Edward+VII

Burt gives a good account of the incident, but unusually is wrong about how long it took to identify mine as the reason for loss. Although initially reported as a torpedo hit, Jellicoe was suspicious from the start and had the Admiralty immediately declare the area dangerous until further notice. A steamer hit a mine two days later. The following day the Admiralty announced that KEVII had hit a mine and sunk, without giving the location and against Jellicoe's wishes. Sweeping began as soon as the weather permitted. Full details are in the Naval Staff Monograph. 

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Kizme, Michael and The,

Many thanks for your replies (above). I decided to buy the book - I was amazed by how many publishers, dates of publication, prices, book covers and even book shapes there were! I eventually bought the paperback version published in 2022 by Seaforth Publishing - I hope this meets with your approval. The book eventually came in the post last Saturday but I wasn't able to thank you all immediately - sorry.

The book confirms that the King Edward VII hit a mine laid by the Möwe while heading for Belfast. She tried to continue on her way but couldn't make it.

Thanks again,

aim

P.S. I copied the word Möwe from above. How do I get an umlaut without copying it?