Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unknown Saddle

Harry Brown

Hi 

i have this saddle in my saddle collection and i am unsure of what type and country of origin it is?

The on lead i have on it is I've seen a very similar one listed as french cavalry but it is totally different to one of my other french saddles so i am unsure

also has a  maker stamp on the side can only make out the word "The" which makes me think it is english

any help would be greatly appreciated

cheers - Harry

IMG_8864.jpeg

IMG_8861.jpeg

IMG_8866.jpeg

IMG_8865.jpeg

IMG_8862.jpeg

IMG_8863.jpeg

IMG_8859.jpeg

Just a quick response but it looks to be a French WW1 military saddle. Definitely not British!

1 hour ago, Spaceman said:

Just a quick response but it looks to be a French WW1 military saddle. Definitely not British!

thanks very much for that mate

Not German

I'm more familiar with the various universal pattern saddle used by the British but this may well be a French Model 1874 saddle that was still being used in WW1.

16 hours ago, Spaceman said:

I'm more familiar with the various universal pattern saddle used by the British but this may well be a French Model 1874 saddle that was still being used in WW1.

i think you are right! just had a search and they look very similar cheers for that mate

The girth strap looks british.

It's likely not to be the original girth strap - it looks in too good a condition to be well worn and over 100 years old!

Yeah is a British girth strap but not paired with the saddle.     It’s one I already had and was playing around seeing how it fit 

1 hour ago, Spaceman said:

It's likely not to be the original girth strap - it looks in too good a condition to be well worn and over 100 years old!

1914 dated.    Probably unissued 

IMG_8973.jpeg

Walsall

Definitely a UK manufactured military girth strap