Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

James Aitkin Wylie

Tavern Druid

I am researching James Aitkin Wylie a Scottish born Dentist, who as a British Red Cross Society member volunteered his services as a MO in WW1.

He has a MiC which I have seen and shows he was awarded 15 Star, Victory and British War medals. I have also seen the two Medal Roll pages for him.

There is also a transcript from the WW1 & WW2 Nurse Records on Fold3 which I also have. This record show his rank as MO, and in the section titled Service Number gives a certificate number of 6820 and a passport number. It also shows his Duty Location as Rouen.

I have done some research on the base at Rouen. But I am hoping to be able to find out more about him and his service.

Would a service record exist for him? And if so, where might this be archived?

I don’t know what the Certificate Number refers to and would appreciate any help with this please.

I have looked at the Red Cross Museum website and the Wellcome Collection Websites but have not found anything there.

James had relocated to Wales after the war and stayed there until his death in 1966. I have found quite a bit about his time as a Dentist in Wales. 

If any forum member could help with this research, I would be most grateful.

David