Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unidentified Medal Ribbon

rje2913

Hi all,

I recently got sent my great uncle's ribbons and silver war badge. However I can't figure out what the middle ribbon is even after searching high and low. Conscious the colours have faded but I know the outside two the middle is the mystery. Anyone ever come across it?

IMG-20240201-WA0001.jpg

the last one is the War Victory Medal. The mid one I have seen one similar unofficial in Italian Army for all nations who had won in 1918

Pershing Peace Medal.......ribbon mounted upside down on bar above?

Pershing Peace Medal.jpg

Edited by TullochArd

51 minutes ago, rje2913 said:

Hi all,

I recently got sent my great uncle's ribbons and silver war badge. However I can't figure out what the middle ribbon is even after searching high and low. Conscious the colours have faded but I know the outside two the middle is the mystery. Anyone ever come across it?

IMG-20240201-WA0001.jpg

The medal ribbon in the middle is for the original version of the Victory Medal ribbon, which is rarely seen in itself. This was used prior to the adoption of the double-rainbow version that eventually became standard, so to see it worn alongside the later version is really rather unusual:

Early Victory Medal Ribbon bar.jpg

Here's a typically detailed account from the AWM supporting Andrew's post The unofficial Victory Medal ribbon of 1919 | Australian War Memorial (awm.gov.au)

Looks like the makers of the unofficial Pershing Peace Medal bought up all the dodgy rejected 'Flags of Many Nations' ribbon. It's clearly got nothing to do with this chap however for general interest the "Unofficial WWI US Army Pershing commemoration victory medal purportedly, according to the US Militaria Forums, the Pershing Victory Medal originated with the Chicago Times newspaper and issued to Illinois service members."

Edited by TullochArd

This is great thank you, have been searching around for weeks on this one. I am very much doubting I will be able to get a replacement ribbon for the unofficial one but nice to have the original.