Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

How to tell if an article of clothing is Original or Reproduction

10thlad

Hi all, 

May sound a tad daft, but I’ve got a few things that havent got any markings present and wondered whether they may be original. I am not too good regarding this topic so any help is appreciated. I think that a tunic I have is possibly original or the 22’ pattern. I have some belts that are unmarked and have a little bit of blanco present. Any green flags or red flags for sussing these out? 
Thanks, 

10thLad

I think photos of your items may help other members forward their opinions.

Simon

30 minutes ago, 10thlad said:

Hi all, 

May sound a tad daft, but I’ve got a few things that havent got any markings present and wondered whether they may be original. I am not too good regarding this topic so any help is appreciated. I think that a tunic I have is possibly original or the 22’ pattern. I have some belts that are unmarked and have a little bit of blanco present. Any green flags or red flags for sussing these out? 
Thanks, 

10thLad

I posted what I thought was a 1922 pattern tunic here in reply to a similar query. It was identified as a well known "modified" 1930s item relabelled.

This should give some pointers...

There’s an interesting Facebook group called “military fakes and forgeries”, it certainly opened my eyes👍

Dave.

I claim no particular expertise and have no doubt been taken in a time or two (!) but for me, and I hope this doesn't sound too weird, if you have the item in hand - SMELL is a pretty good indicator (and difficult to replicate).

Also difficult to describe regarding what I'm smelling for - but I have to admit to a furtive sniff of almost any significant purchase I am making in person! 

Chris

1 hour ago, 4thGordons said:

SMELL is a pretty good indicator (and difficult to replicate)

Funny that you bring that up Chris,  I took my "Feathers" jacket described in the attached thread to a Dublin dealer of long standing some years ago. He had a small shop but full of amazing stuff. A long standing dealer of some repute.

I took the jacket to him. He took a long sniff and said "Genuine. You can bank it". The jacket did have a convincing must about it. Some years later, after living in a wardrobe, it now smells of wardrobe.

Just a cautionary tale.

Dave

Edited by depaor01

Well, when I get home. I’ll give them a sniff, I’ll try suss out a musty smell! Thanks for your help! 
10thLad

1 hour ago, 10thlad said:

Well, when I get home. I’ll give them a sniff, I’ll try suss out a musty smell! Thanks for your help! 
10thLad

Post up some photo so we

can see and try to help 

I’ll be able to put pictures up tomorrow, what would the lining of the tunic be. Mine doesn’t have a piece of material on the part the neck would rest on. What is typical linings of originals/1922 patterns and what is the typical of a repro.

O/Rs Service Dress jackets are unlined. They have pockets and cotton seam backing inside but they don’t have a full lining and nothing at the collar

Generally post WW1 jackets ( inc 1922) have khaki drill/ light brown pockets and seam backing whereas wartime generally have white ( although there may be exceptions to this with late war SD jackets)DSCN0439.JPG.0c7fe24169542d640f6e02def57c9d17.JPGDSCN0440.JPG.bb0b509a278b19a79a0aec94035f9688.JPG

Here are some photo of a wartime SD jacket for comparison to the post war 1922 pattern lining 

IMG_8365.jpeg.79ffde0364c6f04a900cb404fd0e1c79.jpeg

IMG_8364.jpeg.03bef84c03be49de3f2ddfefda095c75.jpeg

IMG_8362.jpeg.c12946bb9cf7b0bba20ae6de51eb5587.jpeg