Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

United Kingdom Book of Remembrance

andrew pugh

Good Evening 

I have just been looking on the CWGC website at a casualty called Pte Arthur Bowman-Ten-Sytthof 17th Battalion Royal Fusiliers who was killed on the 24/03/1918. There is no mention of a grave or being listed on a Memorial, bur is recorded on the United Kingdom Book of Remembrance. Could anyone explain what this means.

Kind Regards

Andy

Andy

CWGC has this to say about it… The United Kingdom Book of Remembrance commemorates United Kingdom casualties of the two World Wars who were not formerly recorded by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission. The men and women remembered here are presently commemorated solely by their database and register entry. The Commission will continue to investigate the grave location details.

Arthur Bowman-ten-Sythoff was one of my submissions that CWGC accepted for commemoration.

Steve

Hi Steve

Thank you for replying and explaining this to me. You mentioned that the CWGC will continue to investigate the grave location details, doe's this mean that they are still actively investigating. They must have a grave location, and a cemetery, unless he is an unknown. Your thoughts on this situation. Perhaps they could be pushed on this issue? Because someone could be researching this individual and they would not know if he had a grave or not.

Kind Regards

Andy

Chris Harley from The In From The Cold Project, spent time looking for the grave locations for men, whose commemorations were accepted by the CWGC until he passed away.  He was a member of this forum, who posted regularly about graves he had found or looking for help to visit cemeteries.  
The Possible Non Commemoration area of this forum, has his name attached to it

In grateful memory of member Chris Harley (chrisharley9)

Mandy

5 hours ago, andrew pugh said:

Thank you for replying and explaining this to me. You mentioned that the CWGC will continue to investigate the grave location details, doe's this mean that they are still actively investigating. They must have a grave location, and a cemetery, unless he is an unknown. Your thoughts on this situation. Perhaps they could be pushed on this issue? Because someone could be researching this individual and they would not know if he had a grave or not.

Andy

The wording used in my original reply to describe the United Kingdom Book of Remembrance was a direct quote taken from the CWGC website. It’s a statement which suggests to me that further investigation into previously non-commemorated individuals may be the Commission's long term intention but isn’t something that’s on their immediate ‘to do list’.  The ‘book’ being the quickest and cheapest method of recording and recognising previously missed commemorations.

My submission to the CWGC in this instance was for two men; #13106 Private Arthur Bowman-ten-Sythoff and #36052 Private Alfred Stone, both of the 17th Bn. Royal Fusiliers and neither of whom were originally commemorated by the CWGC.  According to their respective Medal Roll entries, Bowman~ten-Sythoff was presumed dead and Stone killed in action on 24th March 1918.  The two men’s commemoration in the United Kingdom Book of Remembrance is, in my opinion, an initial acceptance by the CWGC that these men gave their lives and is but the initial step towards a more formal commemoration.  

I’d go as far as to make the suggestion that, based on the pair’s original non-commemoration, there is unlikely to be any grave found and that the Arras Memorial would appear to be the likeliest location for any future memorialisation, when time and funds permit.

Steve