Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Found on English lines... Any matches?

Flavio

A few months ago at English posts but previously also frequented by Italian troops I found this container, probably for liquids, empty with some holes.

The dimensions are more or less that of a thinner/solvent jar in height while in width it is a little narrower but not by much.

I don't have more precise measurements because that day I left it at the place where it was found, mostly because it made me think more of something post-war.

Any correspondence in your opinion with something used by the British Army?

IMG_20240214_210737.jpg

IMG_20240214_210637.jpg

British smoke cannister. The cap screws off exposing an inner cap with a split in it and igniter stick is pushed through the split and lit with a match. The igniter was originally held in a waterproof paper wrapper held to the outside of the can with two strips of adhesive tape.

Thank you very much @Chasemuseum, truly, so once again I agree with my instinct that you take everything home and you always have time to take it to the eco center island with the double benefit of having freed the woods from the infesting iron.

Jokes aside, do you happen to have a photo or a link where you can get an idea of how it could have been original?

Edited by Flavio

Hi Flavio,

its packed away so I cannot access it at present but attached are a few old photos

image.png.9eec5d41d7e426be6eed219527a94706.png

image.png.f0eda89deebc70a60b3b2efacc632a15.png

image.png.59716f1b0811f9fc29898133ab78b9dd.png

image.png.8820f738bcb457e26e8408d4b5005cc2.png

CANDLE SMOKE GROUND

To Fire: - Take off screw cap and pour off any

free liquid. Insert bottom of igniter (Wax end)

about 2 inches into the composition. Hold igniter

top and strike the tablet of the igniter smartly but             

the     black top.

Note: - Igniter and Striker must be kept dry.

C.3490 40

Fantastic, I'll try to get it back as soon as possible, also because honestly I've never seen it found here and I think that at this point it's a fairly rare piece, naturally I'm always talking about the Italian WW1 front in relation to the presence of English troops in the plateau of Asiago

Ps. It also makes me think, if you also agree with my assessment, that it has not been used given the still presence of its screw cap

Edited by Flavio