Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German units in St Eloi March 1915

Stevejm

I am trying to find out which German units were involved in the attack on St Eloi on 14 March 1915 when they exploded some mines and attacked the British trenches which were held by 27th Division units at the time. I have found reference to the attacking Germans being “ Prussian Guards” and “ Bavarians” but nothing more specific. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance

Steve

The War Diary of the 27 Div HQ GS (Intelligence) WO 95/2255 (available on Ancestry) has the Intelligence Reports (starts on p 453 Ancestry) from January 1915 names the Units of German Prisoners taken in the body of the WD and on separate reports. The WD of the Adjutant & Quarter-Master General is in the same papers which might have something.

The War Diary of 81 Infantry Brigade of 27 Div WO 95/2263 from January 1915 onwards has reports of German Sapping Operations and numerous sketches.

I will refresh my memory of the WD of the Commander Royal Engineers later today unless someone beats me to it.

Brian

5 hours ago, Stevejm said:

Bavarians

It was the Bavarian 3rd Infantry Division -  Bavarian 17th, 18th, 22nd and 23rd Infantry Regiments.  Their Regimental Histories with the exception of the KB 23 IR are available on line.

Charlie

2 hours ago, brianmorris547 said:

Steve

The War Diary of the 27 Div HQ GS (Intelligence) WO 95/2255 (available on Ancestry) has the Intelligence Reports (starts on p 453 Ancestry) from January 1915 names the Units of German Prisoners taken in the body of the WD and on separate reports. The WD of the Adjutant & Quarter-Master General is in the same papers which might have something.

The War Diary of 81 Infantry Brigade of 27 Div WO 95/2263 from January 1915 onwards has reports of German Sapping Operations and numerous sketches.

I will refresh my memory of the WD of the Commander Royal Engineers later today unless someone beats me to it.

Brian

Brian,

Many thanks. I can get access to Ancestry so I will look it up. I already have the WD for 81 Brigade. I recall there being some sketches so I will have to re read it but I don’t remember seeing mention of the German units.

Thanks

Steve

30 minutes ago, charlie2 said:

It was the Bavarian 3rd Infantry Division -  Bavarian 17th, 18th, 22nd and 23rd Infantry Regiments.  Their Regimental Histories with the exception of the KB 23 IR are available on line.

Charlie

Many thanks Charlie I will see if I can find the histories on line but you have given me a good head start.

Cheers

Steve

On 16/02/2024 at 15:39, brianmorris547 said:

Steve

Brian

Brian,

I  found the 27 Division GHQ Intelligence Report on my hard drive ( downloaded from the NA previously) and 3 pages in I found details of prisoners captured in January 1915.

I will go through the rest of the report in detail and see what else I can find then later on I will come back and post a summary of my findings in case it is of interest to other researchers.

Edited by Stevejm
Removed copy of NA document per forum rules.

2 hours ago, charlie2 said:

Charlie

The involvement of the 18,22 and 23 Bavarian Infantry Regiments 3 Division in St Eloi is confirmed by intelligence reports on deserters