Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pink Friday

Sue Light

An old photograph has been unearthed of a family member who died on July 1st 1916 [14th Battalion Royal Irish Rifles]. The photo, of him in uniform bears the inscription on the back:

"Pink Friday 24th November 1916"

As this was some months after his death it would seem to be some sort of memorial card, but has anyone any idea what 'Pink Friday' was? The man in question was born in Edinburgh, but the family [as might be expected], were resident in Belfast, where the card originated.

Thanks - Sue

• 2 weeks later...

Sue

This is just a stab in the dark but could 'Pink Friday' have been a Flag day. Alexandra Rose day was not in November puts the flags used for this were pink paper flowers. Perhaps possibily a local event?

Dave

Guest Hill 60

I did a search on Google for this one. I gave up after going through all the findings which all related to Gay Pride marches and meetings but didn't mention the war.

Thanks to Dave and Lee for the suggestions - I think a Google search for 'Pink Friday' is essential for anyone wanting to broaden their education in the finer things of life!! I did wonder if it related in any way to 'Red Friday' which has associations with strikes and industrial militancy, but I agree it was probably a local day of remembrance for something - perhaps some sort of memorial for the men of 36th [ulster] Division who had lost their lives on the Somme, particularly as it was written on the back of a photo.

And just in passing - there is another thread about battalion war diaries, and what they contain. The BWD for this battalion [14th Royal Irish Rifles] for July 1st 1916 is, for me, one of the best extracts I have ever read; running to 7 sheets it is beautifully written, descriptive, explicit, controlled, and yet very warm and emotive - an excellent 'diary' of the day. I've got a transcript as a Word Doc. - if anyone would like a copy just let me know.

Regards - Sue

• 5 months later...

This may be a possibility. The Belfast Telegraph used to be printed on pink newsprint on weekends. The 'Ireland Saturday Night' (an evening sports paper published by the Telegraph) is still known as 'The Pink' despite the fact it has been a tabloid, full colour newspaper for many years now. Is the picture unearthed possibly a cut-out from something like 'The Pink' hence the writing on it. I.E it came from 'The Pink' on that date?

Thanks for that idea - it sounds as plausible as anything I've discovered so far. I think that it's been read as 'Pink Friday - 24th November 1916', but of course, could just as well be 'Pink - Friday 24th November 1916.' An interesting thought.

Regards - Sue