Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Canadian Memorial Cross, GVIR, Bar Suspension and Death Penny

Steve123

Hello:

I have the Canadian Memorial Cross for Pte. J.F. Ward (730484) which is pictured below.  I have one question on the bar:

-  I don't believe that this is the original bar unless there was a short production of the type?  The bar is also in sterling and I don't see any marks on the ring, such as to close it with pliers.  Also, there may have been something ornamental in the "Field" of the bar at sometime unless it is just aged as so.

Also, in his records, there is a mention of Plaque P37941.  Would this relate to the so-called "Death Penny", if numbered?  I have read that only some were numbered behind the Lion's leg.  

Thank you,

Steve

20240215_140615.jpg

20240215_140900.jpg

Edited by Steve123
added info

I am not an expert on Canadian Memorial Crosses by any means but I have seen a good number of them during my collecting career, Some have the additional top clasp but many dont.

This example is seen ocassionally but not as common as some, they would have ben added by the family (mother, wife etc) after issue. Normally the CM cross is suspended by a thin purple (sometimers blue) ribbon.

Thanks, I have seen them with a thin issued bar, but not this one.  Probably added as you say, by the mother.

Plaque was sent to his mother Jun 17, 1921.

Just now, Steve123 said:

Thanks, I have seen them with a thin issued bar, but not this one.  Probably added as you say, by the mother.

As i said in my previous post I am not an expert on these as I never collected them, but I have seen this type of suspension on the Canadian Naval crosses dating from 2 WW period.

Just now, Steve123 said:

Thanks, RNCVR, I have all of his records already.

OK I was not certain, but thought i would mention it to you.  All CEF records are available on line now.

1 hour ago, RNCVR said:

As i said in my previous post I am not an expert on these as I never collected them, but I have seen this type of suspension on the Canadian Naval crosses dating from 2 WW period.

OK I was not certain, but thought i would mention it to you.  All CEF records are available on line now.

RNCVR - Thank you, so you have seen this exact bar on other crosses, or ones like it?  I use Ancestry Full Access, Fold3 and sometimes Newspapers.com to get info.  I know there are some free sources to get just the military file, but I like to research beyond that.  

If anyone else has a Cross with similar bars, would you please share?

Thanks!

@Steve123   Hi Steve,

Here is another example of a 1WW Cross, same type of suspension - its to a CEF soldier.

Cross obv.jpg

If anyone else has a Canadian Memorial Cross with a different suspension bar, I would love to see it.

Thanks,

Steve

• 1 month later...

Not a Great War piece but a good example of a Memorial Cross having been modified (by a jeweller I suspect) in order to allow the mother to wear it.

This cross was awarded to the mother of Sgt. George Tarswell of the Queens Own Rifles KIA July 9, 1944.

DSC_1519 Re-Sized.jpg

@Steve Nichol

This attractive bow type of suspension is seen frequently on Canadian Memorial Crosses... Judging from the Sweetheart pins he was 2nd Queens Own Rifles?

18 hours ago, RNCVR said:

@Steve Nichol

This attractive bow type of suspension is seen frequently on Canadian Memorial Crosses... Judging from the Sweetheart pins he was 2nd Queens Own Rifles?

Yes. He was killed during the fighting at Carpiquet Airfield. Apparently one of three Sgts. killed that day.