Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identification of regiment

Geminidragonfly

My great grandfather John Henry Green is pictured here (4th right, rear) but my family have no info on whom he served with.

He was born in Stockton-on-Tees, Durham in 1895. I've tried searching for records but his common name doesn't help and ones I have looked at don't fit with what I do know.

His family/next of kin were all in Stockton-on-Tees area during WW1.

I'd love help with figuring out which regiment he was attached to or anything else relevant. TIA

20221026_145542.jpg

• Admin

Welcome to the forum. The visible cap badges are Artillery, the seated man without the cigarette appears to have a 3 pice shoulder title, suggesting a territorial unit. The chalked The Knuts on the door is a reference to a music hall act. Does it possibly also say Selafield  I wonder? 

1 hour ago, Geminidragonfly said:

My great grandfather John Henry Green is pictured here (3RD right, rear) but my family have no info on whom he served with.

He was born in Stockton-on-Tees, Durham in 1905. I've tried searching for records but his common name doesn't help and ones I have looked at don't fit with what I do know.

Hi, are you sure about the date of birth? If he were born in 1905 he’d have been about 10-11 years old when this photograph was taken. 
 If the dob is correct, I’d suggest you look for a different family member to fit the timeline, one born around 1895.  

• Admin

I didn’t spot that! Note to self, put glasses in before you type….

2 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

Hi, are you sure about the date of birth? If he were born in 1905 he’d have been about 10-11 years old when this photograph was taken. 
 If the dob is correct, I’d suggest you look for a different family member to fit the timeline, one born around 1895.  

Sorry my bad, it should indeed be 1895. No idea why I typed 1905 🤦🏻‍♀️. Is there a way to edit ones own post? 

• Admin

Sorted. 

4 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

Sorted. 

Awesome thanks for correction on date. Sellafield could be an interesting link and I'll look more into the music hall reference 

• Admin

@FROGSMILE is normally very good at working our what’s chalked on doors, as well as identifying uniform.

1 hour ago, Michelle Young said:

@FROGSMILE is normally very good at working our what’s chalked on doors, as well as identifying uniform.

I think the lowermost word is either, ‘Select’ or more likely ‘Selected by’.  In others words the hut selected by the Knuts, who as men-about-town of style, would naturally only accept the best hut…

Edited by FROGSMILE

11 hours ago, Geminidragonfly said:

My great grandfather John Henry Green is pictured here (3RD right, rear) but my family have no info on whom he served with.

He was born in Stockton-on-Tees, Durham in 1895. I've tried searching for records but his common name doesn't help and ones I have looked at don't fit with what I do know.

I'd love help with figuring out which regiment he was attached to or anything else relevant. TIA

20221026_145542.jpg

I’ve had a look through men enlisting in the local Royal Field Artillery Territorials. There is a John Green B.1893 who enlisted 8/5/15 to the Northumbrian Brigade as Dvr. 3126 - (renumbered) 771337.

He gives his address as 22, Garden Grove, Dudley, Cramlington.  This may be too far north to be one of your lot!  

Edited by GWF1967

6 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

I’ve had a look through men enlisting in the local Royal Field Artillery Territorials. There is a John Green B.1893 who enlisted 8/5/15 to the Northumbrian Brigade as Dvr. 3126 - (renumbered) 771337.

He gives his address as 22, Garden Grove, Dudley, Cramlington.  This may be too far north to be one of your lot!  

Yeah think address is not his family home. But thank you.

26 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

I think the lowermost word is either, ‘Select’ or more likely ‘Selected by’.  In others words the hut selected by the Knuts, who as men-about-town of style, would naturally only accept the best hut…

Brilliant thanks, that makes sense.

11 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

I think the 3rd Northumbrian Bde RFA (County of Durham) fits well given his Stockton on Tees connections.  The man with a visible shoulder title in the front row has a curved and quite long title that seems to match too.

IMG_2561.jpeg

IMG_2562.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

The seated gunner/driver with cigarette is a rifle marksman. This is unusual for Royal Artillery, but more likely for TF than regulars. The latter only shot a basic musketry course, but the former, if keen and the unit made it possible, could have the full course.

Alternatively, the soldier might have transferred from RE, infantry, Yeomanry or ASC already holding the badge.

We shall never know.

Edited by Muerrisch

1 hour ago, FROGSMILE said:

I think the 3rd Northumbrian Bde RFA (County of Durham) fits well given his Stockton on Tees connections.  The man with a visible shoulder title in the front row has a curved and quite long title that seems to match too.

IMG_2561.jpeg

IMG_2562.jpeg

Thank you for this, gives me an avenue to explore. Apparently he never talked about his service ever and he passed away before I was born. I only saw this photo for the first time last year because no one knew he had served at all. 

53 minutes ago, Geminidragonfly said:

Thank you for this, gives me an avenue to explore. Apparently he never talked about his service ever and he passed away before I was born. I only saw this photo for the first time last year because no one knew he had served at all. 

Good luck with the research.  Don’t forget that there was the associated Ammunition Column too.

5 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Good luck with the research.  Don’t forget that there was the associated Ammunition Column too.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with this term.

1 hour ago, Geminidragonfly said:

Sorry, I'm not familiar with this term.

If you look at the printed list of units that I posted above you’ll see that each of the brigades had a separate Ammunition Column which was effectively a small train of horse drawn wagons carrying the reserve (initial resupply) of ammunition.  The manpower was a mix of gunners to look after the ammunition and ASC drivers to look after the wagons.  Your subject could either, have been with the guns, or looking after the resupply ammunition described.

Edited by FROGSMILE

8 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

If you look at the printed list of units that I posted above you’ll see that each of the brigades had a separate Ammunition Column which was effectively a small train of horse drawn wagons carrying the reserve (secondary supply) of ammunition.  The manpower was a mix of gunners to look after the ammunition and ASC drivers to look after the wagons.  Your subject could either, have been with the guns, or looking after the ammunition described.

Ah gotcha, thank you