Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Care of Gilt/Silver Lace, any advice

gnr.ktrha

Hi,
   Does anyone have any advice on how to look after and gently clean antique guilt or silver regimental lace as found on dress uniforms, officers dress belts and pouches etc?
    I have a couple of tunics and an Artillery officers embroidered pouch, some of which has a degree of dirt in the weave and I was wondering if there is a way to remove the dirt and what the best way to preserve these items might be. I am not wanting to make them like new, just want to gently clean what I can without causing damage and maintain them in as stable a condition as possible. They are being stored in cotton suit bags, away from direct sunlight.
          Anyone have any experience or thoughts?
                  Thanks in advance.

I think that I would tread lightly with soft bristle brushes of various sizes, used dry.

And/Or try a gentle air stream.

Good Luck!

Regards,

JMB

There was a contemporary technique outlined in dress/clothing regulations that advised brushing over with dry bread and a solution of cream of tartar (potassium bitartrate or potassium hydrogen tartrate).  Then leave to dry before removing any residue with a soft bristled brush.  It does work.  The extracts below are consecutive and refer.

IMG_2548.jpeg

IMG_2555.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thank you both for your thoughts and suggestions. Someone once told me that bluetac or putty can be dabbed on the brocade to lift dirt and grease of the surface, but I have never tried this. I wonder what museums do to care for their collections?