Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Death Sentences Passed by Military Courts of the British Army 1914 - 1924

fellop

I wonder if any ‘Pals’ have either read or owned the book;

Death Sentences Passed by Military Courts of the British Army 1914 -1924 by Gerard Oram pub 1998 but I understand there is a ‘Revised’ edition.

The only description I can find from various sources is a brief description that the book makes available information relating to over 3000 soldiers and civilians sentenced to death by military courts of the British Army. Details [it seems] are presented in two lists; chronological and alphabetical.

Is the sole information in the book, two lists, or does the book also contain information, however brief, of offence, trial, defence, outcome etc on each individual?

Regards

Peter

I have a copy.

There is a little more than the two lists.

The lists contain nine columns: Name; Unit; Rank; Date; Offence (very briefly); Final Sentence; Location (very general eg. F&F); Reference (TNA Reference); Note (Reference number to end notes).

There is some fairly simple analysis in the introduction and the appendices.

Perhaps more importantly there are brief end notes on some but by no means all caes. The contents of the end note vary a great deal. Fore example: Some give other? TNA WO references; Some give actual family details; Some give more details about the military unit.

I hope this helps.

RM

RM,

My thanks for the reply and on balance, and your information, I will purchase a copy,

Regards

Peter