Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gunner Thomas Dickson, No 86791, Canadian Field Artillery

hen190782

Good Afternoon

Gunner Thomas Dickson was killed by an exploding shell at Otterpool Camp on 13th October 1915 and I am interested to know the medal(s) to which he would have been entitled to receive.

Thanks

Nigel

Edited by hen190782

• Admin

Medals to Canadians are listed in their Service File.

But I am not getting any returns using that name and number in the Canadian Service File archives.

Are you sure about the number?

Regards

Russ

8 minutes ago, RussT said:

Medals to Canadians are listed in their Service File.

But I am not getting any returns using that name and number in the Canadian Service File archives.

Are you sure about the number?

Regards

Russ

Apologies, I had given his number from his prior service with Royal Field Artillery. His Canadian FA number was 86791. I have downloaded the service record but I cannot see a reference to medals awarded. He died before he was posted to a Theatre of War (although entries in the service record refer to him as being "Killed in Action).

Thanks 

Edited by hen190782

• hen190782 changed the title to Gunner Thomas Dickson, No 86791, Canadian Field Artillery
  • Admin

I see what you mean.

He didn't serve in a theatre of war but because he left Canada to England I was under the impression he would have been entitled to the British War Medal (or Canadian equivalent if there was one). 

But I'm not certain on Canadian Entitlement - perhaps ask and/or do a search on the Canadian EF Study Group Forum:

Canadian Expeditionary Force Study Group - Index page (cefresearch.ca)

Regards

Russ

1 minute ago, RussT said:

I see what you mean.

He didn't serve in a theatre of war but because he left Canada to England I was under the impression he would have been entitled to the British War Medal (or Canadian equivalent if there was one). 

But I'm not certain on Canadian Entitlement - perhaps ask and/or do a search on the Canadian EF Study Group Forum:

Canadian Expeditionary Force Study Group - Index page (cefresearch.ca)

Regards

Russ

Thanks, that was my thinking too. I will try the other forum.

• Admin

Found it .... :)

This Card, in his file, states "England only Elig (Eligible) for BWM" i.e. British War Medal

Russ

Thompson BWM.png