Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Collapsible Military Kitbag - Loft Find

Helvetia History

Hello all,

I was clearing my parents loft at the weekend when I came across the interesting collapsible kitbag pictured below.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The name doesn't seem to be in any way related to our family and I think the bag, with another black leather one with the same surname, may have been in the loft from previous owners.

There is a metal frame around the top which I think will sort of lock into place to allow easy access and there are metal fastenings that protrude through the openings either side of the lock and then I think a strap or metal bar passes through them allowing it to be fastened with a padlock.

I'm going o have a go at cleaning the canvas and conditioning the leather.

The owner was Lieutenant Thomas Sopwith Luce. He was from a well to do Wiltshire family and a cousin of Thomas Sopwith the aviation pioneer. They lived at "The Knoll" in Malmesbury, Wiltshire. I think the Malmesbury text on the bag may have been added after the war to make sure the bag was removed from the train at the right stop possibly?

He farmed land in Shropshire and joined the Shropshire Yeomanry being commissioned from Private in 1915. He then went to Egypt where the regiment was amalgamated with another yeomanry regiment to form the 10th Batt Kings Shropshire Light Infantry. They fought several battles against the Turks in the middle east then went to France in 1918.

I've found his records in the National Archives and will have a look if I ever get the chance to visit again.

He died at only 47 in 1925 with no children. His sisters all seem to have been spinsters who were in the VAD during the war so I'm not sure how the bags have ended up in my parent's house.

I'm going to do some more digging.

spacer.png

By the way I collect Helvetia watches and if anyone has an interest in trench watches here is a link to my Helvetia WW1 Trench Watch page:

https://www.helvetiahistory.co.uk/trench-watches

Thanks.

Carl

Edited by Helvetia History

What a super find - best of luck with your research and many thanks for the link to your very informative Trench Watch page.  

2 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

What a super find - best of luck with your research and many thanks for the link to your very informative Trench Watch page.  

Thanks.

As I say the bag was with another black leather bag with the name Luce stencilled in white paint. I'm starting to think, after doing a bit more research, that this too may be military and was perhaps his 'leather valise' which I understand officers had to acquire and was left at the depot with their additional kit not needed on campaign.