Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bought a WHOLE inert artillery shell and casing!

NiktheGreek

Hi, 

first time in the forum! 

recently bought an inert artillery shell with the brass casing from auction, dated 2nd Feb 1916, I was curious if anyone had any other information regarding the shell based of the pictures/ markings,  after doing some research I have identified it is a shell for a 75mm field artillery (most common with the French) 

would appreciate any info after looking at the pics! Interesting markings on the bass of shell (zoom in in the image and you can see the engravings) 

thank you! 1F22C27F-69BD-40E6-A92E-2F889BE7F444.jpeg.3f1f25d8508bb72d2d818c2055a4aef1.jpeg4FCD9AA5-6A5B-45C0-884D-B44AECBEBACB.jpeg.6ae56b01ea84aa96116f4b57de67105f.jpeg

It's a French 37 x 94 Model 1885 round made by Pouderies de Paris (P.D.P) in Feb 2016 probably for the Canon d'Infanterie de 37 modèle 1916 TRP used by both the French and AEF armies.

• Admin
2 hours ago, Spaceman said:

made by Pouderies de Paris (P.D.P) in Feb 2016

typo?

Thank you for the info! Feb 2016 assuming a typo, hope I haven’t bought a shell from 2016 🤣 awesome information regarding the PDP, this forum is awesome 🤝

Welcome....lovely to see the original stencil markings on the base, might be an idea not to clean those off if possible.

Thanks for posting,

Dave.

Thanks Dave, 

of course! Bought at an auction for £30, £62 after VAT and shipping, 

was happy over all, the dates match up for the preparation of Verdun, excited to own a piece so close to this battle, 

regards, 

Nik