Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Inert 303

robert jones

I am looking for WW1 dated inert 303 round's with rounded bullet, or am I asking too much, to go with my 1916 SMLE,   regards Rob.

Rob, a Mk VII round with a pointed (Spitzer) bullet would be more appropriate for a 1916 SMLE.

Pete

Edited by Pete_C

I agree by 1916 the rifle is almost certainly sighted for the MkVII round.

Check your rifle, just behind the rear sight on the barrel you will almost certainly find the letters HV or HV SC

If you do this indicates the rifle is sighted for the MkVII round as @Pete_C pointed (sorry) out.

HV = High Velocity (a reference to the higher velocity of the MkVII round as opposed to the MkVI with the round nosed bullet)

Chris

The AIF & NZEF at Gallipoli were using Mk VI. Would be interested to hear opinions of what the British troops at Helles and later at Suvla were using. 

But Western Front - very much a Mk VII war for the BEF.

23 hours ago, 4thGordons said:

Check your rifle, just behind the rear sight on the barrel you will almost certainly find the letters HV or HV SC

If you do this indicates the rifle is sighted for the MkVII round as @Pete_C pointed (sorry) out.

HV = High Velocity (a reference to the higher velocity of the MkVII round as opposed to the MkVI with the round nosed bullet)

Chris

Wow, I am impressed, it is indeed stamped HV SC, thank you, so I am now looking for MkVII rounds X 5. Rob. 

23 hours ago, 4thGordons said:

Chris

Thank you Chris, it is stamped HV SC, Regards Rob.