Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

How to gain access to trones wood?

ykf519

I keep reading reports of people that have walked around the woods, looking for the rail tracks, trenches, pill box, looking for this and that. we have a family member that died in there. i wanted to walk it as well when we go this year. i didnt know who else to ask so i emailed the bernafay wood b&b. they basically told me trones wood access is strictly forbidden and they cant help me. how do all these other people have reports of walking in it? thanks!

They just walk in. It's not fenced so it's easy to do.

Having said that, it's also easy to get shot by the hunters who are everywhere during the season.

And even easier to incur the wrath of the landowner if caught.

Just now, Ken Lees said:

Having said that, it's also easy to get shot by the hunters who are everywhere during the season.

thanks. so its “at my risk”. 

is there a lot of hunting in the first half of May? 

7 minutes ago, Ken Lees said:

thanks. so its “at my risk”. 

is there a lot of hunting in the first half of May? 

is it frowned upon to go into woods like this and discuss it on this website, or am i allowed to ask for tips?

As always, it is at your own risk: I don't think there is shooting in May but if you see groups of men and dogs, beware, same for agricultural work nearby.

I haven't been for a while, easiest point of entry used to be from the London cemetery. Personally, I think if you have a relative died there you have a moral right of entry.

Peter

8 hours ago, mebu said:

I haven't been for a while, easiest point of entry used to be from the London cemetery. 

That's High Wood, where the owner's house is actually in the wood. Out of respect, I wouldn't go into High Wood.

9 hours ago, mebu said:

Personally, I think if you have a relative died there you have a moral right of entry.

Peter,

I am sorry but I strongly disagree. It's this kind of attitude that makes a lot of locals very upset about the British (etc.).

Jan

• Admin

The GWF cannot condone unauthorised access to private property. Time to lock this. 

• GWF TEAM locked this topic