Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1903 12/02 Bayonet matching rack nos OTC

Donbogen

Here's my patt 1903 bayonet 12/02 matching rack nos

got a knock on the grips part of its history

I collect German and French bayonets for 52 years could not resist this one.

52548h.jpg

52548i.jpg

52548f.jpg

52548e.jpg

52548d.jpg

52548c.jpg

52548b.jpg

52548a.jpg

Edited by Donbogen

• Donbogen changed the title to 1903 12/02 Bayonet matching rack nos OTC

Mr DB,

It would be truly hard to find a set any better than this!!!

Dated to just before the new Pattern year / matching rack numbers / unit marked / frog still attached / cleanly marked scabbard / made at RSAF, Enfield and everything in very good condition.

Who is a lucky dog………?

Regards,

JMB

Without the detail, I can just about guarantee as worth the premium. Compared to an "average" condition bayonet without scabbard say an additional 150% on the nominal market.

10 hours ago, Chasemuseum said:

Without the detail, I can just about guarantee as worth the premium. Compared to an "average" condition bayonet without scabbard say an additional 150% on the nominal market.

I agree, I brought one a couple of years ago unit marked to the ASC, not matching numbers but slightly better overall condition…had to pay £230 which seemed pricey but just not seeing many like that.

Great find, thanks for sharing….pool room!!!

Dave.

Yes a very nice P1903 bayonet made by Enfield, and the interesting part about it is the 12 '02 date. Now the P1903 was actually officially approved in December 1902 so it could be one of the very first ones ever made.!

Alternatively it was possibly converted from a late made P1888 blade which was commonly done. This could be better determined perhaps by a clearer look at the attached inspection markings. (It is also marked to the Cambridge OTC obviously)

Also of interest is the scabbard, which is NOT a P1903 scabbard but instead a P1888 Mk.II Land version (that was confusingly made in 1903) and later upgraded to the Mk.II* configuration with the 2 rivets attaching the loop. This upgrade was introduced in LoC 12612 dated 3 Mar 1904.

However despite all this confusion this set is still quite valid as the P1903 bayonet was officially deemed "interchangeable" on all the variants of earlier P1888 scabbards.

See my old contribution linked below for more details ...

https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/186439-patt1903-scabbard-land-mki/

Cheers,  SS 

Hi SS

Thanks for info on scabboard i find it intresting

I have checked blade under a glass no ghost markings ref been a 88 patt

Yes it is 02 manufacture it is a weak stamp but under a glass is a 2

iv been collecting for 52 years i could not pass on this one

If the rack no was not the same i would not have brought it

Cheers

DB

4 hours ago, Dave66 said:

I agree, I brought one a couple of years ago unit marked to the ASC, not matching numbers but slightly better overall condition…had to pay £230 which seemed pricey but just not seeing many like that.

Great find, thanks for sharing….pool room!!!

Dave.

Thanks for your reply

Hi DB, it is certainly a nicely marked set and both items very interesting. Can you make out what the Inspection marking on the blade reads.? It looks like Crown over XX? over E.? Can you make out what the numbers are.?

Cheers,  SS 

Hi SS

Im on night duty at hotel

i let you know nos tomorrow

any ideas how scabbard is dated 03

and has a Birmingham stamp

the city i was born in

Cheers

DB

Yes the scabbard was produced in 1903, and made and/or inspected by RSAF Sparkbrook in Birmingham, as shown by the letter B over number.

Now when this bayonet was made in December 1902,  the P1888 Mk.II scabbard was actually THE scabbard and the current model so to speak.

Now not many people would know that when the P1903 bayonet was first introduced it did not have it's own scabbard. It was stated that they are to be interchangeable on the older P1888 scabbards. This explains why the actual P1903 scabbards are so hard to find.

It was only later in 1903, late August in fact some 9 months after the introduction of the bayonet, that the proper P1903 Mk.I scabbard was finally "sealed to govern future manufacture". It too was declared interchangeable on all earlier P1888 bayonets, the P1903 and all such conversions.

Cheers,  SS 

Thank You

iv been into German and French bayonets all my life

i find this bayonet fascinating

i send you those Enfield stamp nos when im up and about tomorrow

Cheers

DB

Hi SS

53 is Enfield stamp blade

16 is Enfield stamp spine it has been  over stamped with D post 1925 repair stamp

Regards

DB

PS

After viewing with  a stronger glass and in natural light

year is not 02 but is 00

making it a conversion from a virgin blade

DB

Edited by Donbogen

On 13/02/2024 at 21:04, shippingsteel said:

Alternatively it was possibly converted from a late made P1888 blade which was commonly done. This could be better determined perhaps by a clearer look at the attached inspection markings.

Cheers,  SS 

1 hour ago, Donbogen said:

Hi SS

After viewing with  a stronger glass and in natural light

year is not 02 but is 00

making it a conversion from a virgin blade

As I noted previously, I did suspect it could have been a conversion from an earlier P1888. The extra inspection marking placed high on the spine of the blade is usually a good indicator of a converted P1903.

The strange part is yours doesn't seem to have an original inspection marking at all. Perhaps you are right and it was a "virgin blade", so possibly assembled as a P1888 but never left the factory, then later converted into the P1903 format. Bit hard to say ...

Cheers,  SS 

Edited by shippingsteel

Whats your imput on the D post 1925 repair stap on spine

I wonder when OTC got hold of it

the fact it has matching rank nos is key to me buying it

Regards

DB

Edited by Donbogen

I would have to see an actual photo of the D marking to determine what it was about. Is it found on the short edge of the blade, or stamped on the handle section between the timber grips.?

The later period D stamp was an Enfield marking, and was actually the conjoined E F D letters, looking just like a D with a cross line in it.

Regarding the OTC, they got it no earlier than October 1908, when the OTC units were first authorised under the Haldane reforms. Can read about it here at link below, scrolling way down through History section brings up specific story of the Cambridge OTC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Officers'_Training_Corps

Cheers,  SS 

While we are waiting, and obviously on the topic of the beautiful P1903 bayonet ... here is one of mine to throw into the mix.! :thumbsup:

And with the "proper" P1903 Mk.I scabbard illustrated for "reference purposes" B)

Cheers,  SS 

IMG_20240127_205153.jpg.82304a0c9954d61db6087fe67fac14f7.jpg

Great example

puts mine to shame

The D is stamped on the bottom spine not the tang

it stamped on top of a 16 enfield inspections stamp

Regards

DB