Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British Units in the Indian Lahore Division

Turner DJ

I'm looking for help to identify at what point the 55th West Lancashire Division Ammunition Column personnel arrived in France.

The 55th Division was a Territorial Force unit and its component units were sent across piecemeal through 1914 & 1915.

These are the facts as I know them.

My Grandad has the 14-15 Star so must have been in France/Belgium sometime in 1914-15.

He served with the 55th Divisional Ammunition Column RFA. (DAC)

I've found the war diary for the unit but this only starts January 1916 and indicates that they were attached to Lahore Division of the Indian Army.

In mid January the 55th DAC  was transferred to 3rd Canadian Division along with some of the Lahore's Division artillery.

The 55th was reformed as a division at the end of January 1916.

In the Lahore's Division order of battle it just lists Ammunition Column.

Can anyone help please as I'm trying to build up a picture of my Grandads movements in the early part of the war.

Thanks Duncan

Hi,

Thanks  for coming back to me so promptly Chris, 

Yes I've been on the site you suggested but nothing about service with the Lahore division.

Its frustrating but I'll keep digging.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks again.

Duncan

• 1 month later...

Duncan, I too have a grandfather with apparent involvement in the Lahore Division and WW1. Mine was originally with the Rifle Brigade 4th Battalion in India but he fortunately left us details which indicated he was transferred in 1913 to the 3rd Lahore Division and in August 1914 went on active service with the the original Indian Expeditionary Force and served throughout the war in France, Mesopotamia and Palestine.’ Mine has the 1914 Star (Mons Star).

You say your grandad has the 1914-1915 Star, then he would have been on the ground after 22nd November 1914.  Those holding the 1914 Mons Star were on the ground in France and/or Belgium between 5th August and 22nd November 1914. 

I also can't seem to find much on the Indian Lahore Division movements. Just need to keep chipping away.  :-)

Jeni 

• Admin
On 12/02/2024 at 08:45, Turner DJ said:

My Grandad has the 14-15 Star so must have been in France/Belgium sometime in 1914-15.

He served with the 55th Divisional Ammunition Column RFA. (DAC)

If he was awarded the 14-15 Star then his date of entry into theatre should be on either the medal index card or the roll, as to "must have been in France" not necessarily so, he may have been but equally he could have entered another theatre of war in the qualifying dates.

e..g. Dvr Lawrence Diamond 1738/695006 enlisted in December 1914 and was posted to the West Lancashire Divisional Ammunition Column, an additional number '7' is shown on his record alongside that entry.

Dvr Diamond's entry in the 14-15 Star Medal Roll shows entry into theatre (3) Egypt on the 4th June 1915 together with Dvr James Dewhurst 1740/695005, the six digit numbers in the block allocated to the 55th/57th DAC 

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/a-soldiers-life-1914-1918/renumbering-of-the-territorial-force-in-1917/renumbering-of-the-tf-artillery-in-1917/

A name sometimes helps others to offer assistance.

Hi, thanks for your replies. 

Through further research I've learnt that he actually went to France between September and October of 1914 landing at Le Havre.

At this time he was serving in the 2nd West Lancashire Brigade RFA, Brigade Ammunition Column, (BAC).

They initially served with the 2nd Canadian Division until 55th was reformed in January 1916.

He would remain with 2nd West Lancashire Brigade Ammunition Column, (276th Brigade RFA) until the field artillery brigades were restructured/disbanded in May 1916.

Personnel from the BAC's transferring to the 55th DAC in "A" Echelon I believe.

He remained with the 55th DAC until demobilisation in 1919.

Through the war diaries of 2nd West Lancashire Brigade RFA and 55th DAC I've been able to trace his movements through France and Belgium.

It is with the 55th DAC that he was awarded his MM in August 1918.

Fascinating reading!

Thanks again.