Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Question on Imperial German bayonet knots ?

ersatz

Hello everyone, I've had this 1871 PFM with a large knot attached to it for sometime now.  I've always wondered if the knot is proper for this weapon, or does it belong to a different period and weapon?  I've included a typical size knot for comparison.  Your comments much appreciated. 

Lgknot1.jpg

Lgknot2.jpg

Nice bayonet, is the frog marked? as it looks like spanish M1941 type. The knots could be corect for imperial bayonets, question remains they are dress or combat versions. I would think the left one is certainly for a dress bayonet, 2.Company probably. On bayonet could be 5.company.

Edited by AndyBsk

Andy, thank you for your comments.  The scabbard has no markings.  It fits the scabbard throat very well.  My thoughts are that the frog is Bavarian due to the triangular frog stud opening.  The smaller knot I feel is more of a field grade piece due to the larger filaments (for lack of proper terminology).   I always thought the knots having thinner filaments were private purchase dress.  

Should be looked for backside marking, but i personally tend to the M1941 frog, as bavarians normally are marked on backside and should have rivets on combat frog.

https://stewartsmilitaryantiques.com/spanish-wwii-m1941-mauser-bayonet-and-leather-frog.52071.archive.htm

About the knots, i am certainly not expert but from what i saw the extra ones are mostly light colors, as combat one should be more darker strap.

Edited by AndyBsk

ANDY, 

I apologize for the delay.  There are no markings on the back of the frog, and yes, it resembles the Spanish frog you referenced.  Though the frog is likely incorrect, the frog & note accompanied the PFM when purchased years ago.  It fits well and helps with the total display.  Thanks again for commenting!  TED