Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

18 MCCS France

Iain Harper

My ancestor, Rifleman 6824 Frederick Charles Bishop, of 1/21st TF London Regiment, died of his wounds on 10 Oct 1916. The location of his death is given on a WWI Pension Ledger and Index Card as 18 MCCS France. Does this acronym identify a map location in France, the name of a field hospital, does it identify where he was buried - or is it something else?

Thanks for reading.

Edited by Iain Harper

• Admin

Welcome to the forum. He’s buried at Dernancourt, the  facility at the time of his death as being run by  the South Midland Casualty Clearing Station.  

https://www.cwgc.org/visit-us/find-cemeteries-memorials/cemetery-details/3800/dernancourt-communal-cemetery-extension/

The '18 MCCS France' appears on various Ancestry members' pages, without any corroboration - hence my initial question on this forum, to try to find evidence.

Iain.

• Admin

Could it in fact be 1 S  rather than 18? I don’t subscribe so can’t look. 

Thankyou Michelle, for your most helpful information. I'm not familiar with the geography of France, but I will have to research it. Another of my ancestors (Corporal 8/2003 James Harper, 1st Otago Infantry Regiment, New Zealand Expeditionary Force), died in July 1916 of wounds received in Armentieres, but he is buried in Calais Southern Cemetery. 

Iain

Thank you Russ and Michelle for your very useful help and information on this. Probably my mistake to have said in my initial post that the information came from the Pension Ledger and Index Card, rather than the Ancestry members' information. 

Kind Regards, Iain.

• Admin

His medal index card shows entitlement to the war and victory medals, meaning he didn’t serve in a theatre of war until after 1/1/16

• Admin

I would imagine Frederick would have been wounded a day or two before his death. The fighting at the time was around the area of Eaucourt l’Abbaye. A Google Earth search will bring up this location and that of Dernancourt. Looking at our copy of the divisional history on October 8th they were attacking Diagonal Trench at around 9pm. 

1 hour ago, Iain Harper said:

The '18 MCCS France' appears on various Ancestry members' pages, without any corroboration - hence my initial question on this forum, to try to find evidence.

Always a good idea.

44 minutes ago, Iain Harper said:

Probably my mistake to have said in my initial post that the information came from the Pension Ledger and Index Card, rather than the Ancestry members' information. 

Yes a mistake, but it would have been worse to go blindly off such a 'source', and at least [thank goodness] you had the good sense to start to check.

M

Edit: I'm not seeing 18MCCS on the pension index cards for him/his widow

Edited by Matlock1418
edit

Thank you Michelle for your two later posts. I will look into these in the next few days.

Regards, Iain.