Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private Frank Pogson 2941 and 240497 1/5 Battalion Duke of Wellingtons (West Riding) Regiment

Poggy123

My great uncle Frank Pogson took a gunshot wound to the mouth on 10 November 1915 in Trenches F30-F35 on the Canal Bank near Boesinghe.  He was invalided out and survived.  See document attached . I'm trying to make sense of the Casualty Form (document 0191) from his 'Statement As To Disability' from his Service Record.  I can read most of it but in the centre, 2/3rds of the way down under the 'Record of Promotions ... etc' column the handwriting reads " Discharged as ---(crossed out)ServiceRecord191.jpg.70863d633e1ee37a0b2cbb3a4f4ca4fa.jpg------ surplus to Military requirements ... " then three lines of handwriting too faint to read on my copy.  Can anyone access a better copy or read it or maybe take a guess if it looks like it may follow standardised wording please?  

Edited by Poggy123

• Admin

As you surmise it is a standard wording from:-

Reasons for Discharge

Para 392  King's Regulations 1912

(xxva) Surplus to military requirements (Not having suffered impairment since entry into the service) then 'not having ' has been struck through and therefore suggest the other bit on the side is an amendment to

(xvia) Surplus to military requirements (having suffered impairment since entry into the service)

As the record shows he was wounded I imagine his impairment was as a result of his service

I have no idea why the clerk chose to write it the way they did but you can clearly see (xxv) on the line one up from the bottom of the page

Hello Kenf48

Brilliant. That is an excellent explanation. I tried enhancing the print but with no success. Now that I have read your message, the wording is obvious. Thanks

• 1 month later...

All,

Thanks to all who helped with my research into Frank Pogson. Special thanks to Paul Sims for his excellent knowledge and advice about the 1/5th Battalion DWR.  My research is as complete as I can make it and, by way of thanks, I have published it on-line and anyone who wants to read it can do so at:

https://davidlewispogson.wordpress.com/wounded-in-action-frank-pogson/