Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medals: It's a strange world when...

Gary Samson

It's a strange world when on eBay at the moment a vintage Action Man Croix de Guerre gets more attention and commands a better price than several good examples of the real thing. I know this is just an issue of supply and demand, the toy medal being comparatively rare, but that doesn't stop it seeming a little bit odd.

Gary

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Even stranger when a Seller can sell an 'On War Service Badge' for £52 and yet the same Seller does not have a single bid for a British War Medal to an Infantry Regt!

Ian

Some chap on eBay Canada is selling a:

"Great War Medallion 1914-1918 Engraved!!!"

(his exclamation marks), accompanied by a nice closeup piccy of a Victory, sans ribbon.

Wish I had one of those . . . :lol:

I wonder if the !!! will add to the price ???

"Great War Medallion 1914-1918 Engraved!!!"

Absolutely! I hate when the "Impaired-By-Ignorance" describe medals as Medallions!!!

Case in point: I recently had my father in-law to our home, and he came into my "medal room" and was looking at a one of my prize groups (DCM 1914-15 Trio & Memorial Death Plaque, mounted in a beautiful period frame).

He stared at them for a few seconds, and I was expecting him to ask me something about them, like, what were they for? Or what do they represent? I was anxious to share the story of the the brave "linesman" killed at the Somme...

Instead he turned to me and said "Wow those are some nice shiny medallions!" Before I could say another word he continued "Do you ever wear them?"

I knew I was dealing with a level of ignorance that I had not yet experience and therefore chose just to respond by saying "Yes they sure are shiny, and no I have not worn them lately, but added that the large medal (memorial plaque) would look great on a chain around my neck."

He didn't miss a beat and I showed him out of my medal room.

Guest Hill 60
Instead he turned to me and said "Wow those are some nice shiny medallions!" Before I could say another word he continued "Do you ever wear them?"

I remember showing my (now depleted) collection of British campaign medals to a work colleague who had an interest in military matters.

He was very knowledgeable on his regiment's history (he was ex RGJ & SAS) and filled me in on some of the lesser known pieces of history concerning some of the battles.

When we were both back on duty he was telling some of the watch about the medals. I heard him say, that although I had a good collection, he did not understand why I would want medals that I'm not entitled to and that I should be ashamed when I wear them. Wear them? They were mainly Victorian medals ;).

Guest Ian Bowbrick

He was very knowledgeable on his regiment's history (he was ex RGJ & SAS)

Lee mate,

I take it you didn't work for a florist or Mothercare :lol:

Ian

Guest Hill 60
I take it you didn't work for a florist or Mothercare

Have you ever been into Mothercare? Man, those women are lethal! I've seen a McLaren buggy do more damage to a human leg than an APC :lol: