Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RFC Officer but what previous Regt ?

thedawnpatrol

Can anyone say what the collar badges on this unknown RFC Captains tunic are…..it might give a lead to his identity 

1B2C75E1-7B3F-4681-A401-BD0020E62043.jpeg

C5D4615F-F5B0-4339-92CE-5AC277A0F75D.jpeg

Looks a bit like Canadian Army Service Corps.  

2 hours ago, thedawnpatrol said:

Can anyone say what the collar badges on this unknown RFC Captains tunic are…..it might give a lead to his identity 

Good game .......... WILFRID ALLAN FLEMING or GEORGE STOURTON MAINWARING LARDER  ...... both Devonshire Regiment Captains/RFC 

I think Devonshire Regiment too.  Their almost perfectly symmetrical star collar insignia was quite distinctive.

IMG_2449.jpeg

Thank you all, and especially TullochArd for the two suggestions of idenity, the first thing ill do when i get a chance is look up both of them to see if either has a Royal Aero Club photo to compare……….but they dont!

3 hours ago, thedawnpatrol said:

Thank you all, and especially TullochArd for the two suggestions of idenity, the first thing ill do when i get a chance is look up both of them to see if either has a Royal Aero Club photo to compare……….but they dont!

I don't have much more other than Fleming MC was a RFC Captain in 56 Sqn reported missing in action in August 1917.  Larder now seems perhaps less likely maybe being a late/post war RAF Captain.

Fleming MC was a Harrow Old Boy and predictably the 'Harrow Memorials Of The Great War Vol 5 1914-1918' has a photo of him ..... I'm not so convinced the OP is him but, that said, I'm pretty useless at facial recognition.  

C5D4615F-F5B0-4339-92CE-5AC277A0F75D.jpeg.e8375bba1bd99b7cce6b9f7225fdeed2.jpeg

Fleming W A Captain MC Royal Flying Corps.jpg

Edited by TullochArd

1 hour ago, TullochArd said:

I don't have much more other than Fleming MC was a RFC Captain in 56 Sqn reported missing in action in August 1917.  Larder now seems perhaps less likely maybe being a late/post war RAF Captain.

Fleming MC was a Harrow Old Boy and predictably the 'Harrow Memorials Of The Great War Vol 5 1914-1918' has a photo of him ..... I'm not so convinced the OP is him but, that said, I'm pretty useless at facial recognition.  

C5D4615F-F5B0-4339-92CE-5AC277A0F75D.jpeg.e8375bba1bd99b7cce6b9f7225fdeed2.jpeg

Fleming W A Captain MC Royal Flying Corps.jpg

Different men in this comparison I believe.