Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

service record help

james drury

hi all 

could anyone help with the entries at the bottom of the card ... poor copy I know but any suggestions appreciated 

thought the 2nd might be 

'Attentive II for ...?..... at Dunkirk 27th June 1918 .....' 

many thanks in advance :-)

©Ancestryimage.jpeg.49dc24e58e7d13142c2b91458a354170.jpeg

Edited by james drury

• james drury changed the title to service record help

These miscellaneous sub-notes on ADM 188 ledger records can be a nightmare to read, often being made in pencil and poorly scanned. They are usually, when readable, of marginal interest to the main flow of drafts in the record - a minor footnote, as it were.

In this case, It seems that, while borne as a supernumerary (List 15) on the books of HMS VICTORY I at Portsmouth (22 January 1918 to 22 February 1919) , he may have been 'lent' to HMS AATTENTIVE II (the Dover Base) on 27 June 1918 for duty (duration not specified) with "SGs" (???) at Dunkirk. This may be a reference to the RN Siege Guns based on the French coast.

The exact meaning and nature of this entry is, I hasten to add, very speculative. If someone can provide a better reading .....

Noting that the Admiralty issued the British War Medal and the Victory Medal to this rating, it must be  assumed that he left UK for a Land Theatre of Operations (BEF) as he did not embark for active service at sea.

Correction - He served as ship's company (List 5)in HMS HINDUSTAN from 26 September 1917 to 22 January 1918 when she was an operational battleship, thereby earning the Victory Medal. HINDUSTAN was used as an accommodation ship at Chatham from February 1918.

Edited by horatio2