Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CWGC grave registration reports - Help needed

Shiny

Hi All,

When the CWGC first added all of their records to the website so we can download them there was a lot of discussion on the forum about the information on them and how to get it.

I seem to remember someone explained how to get in through the back door (for want of a better description) so that instead of having to download one person at a time you could get the grave registration reports for the whole cemetery, almost as if you were flicking through the pages of a book.

Can anyone remember how to do that? I've made a few searches but can't find it now.

Thanks very much,

Michael

Typical, just after I posted this I've found the answer.

Admin, please delete this 

Care to enlighten others? 

Could be?

TEW

Sorry all, I thought the post would have been deleted.

TEW yes that's the one but I tried it after I said to cancel this and it didn't work.

It said I had over 350 pages, only 3 could be found to download but wouldn't start and all the other pages couldn't be found so I'm no further forward.

Michael 

It should refer just to downloads or images, not pages.

The GRRFs are images stored on the CWGC site. You should be referencing a range of jpg files something like.

doc231[567:786].jpg this should download doc231567.jpg to doc567786.jpg in one batch.

The awkward bit is determining the range of files you want IE. The first and last.

I can help more tomorrow if I know which cemetery.

In the other post, the second last attachment 'Enter a download url'

what is in the download box? Is it structured like the example?

TEW

First thing to do is check this site: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/s4lil9lg5jkk6/F7_C2_CWGC_Binders#e6csl7gfp5jf8

All the work has been done and most files there also have the documents which CWGC removed a few years ago (documents with unknowns only).

I am using the same method as TEW since many years and it works fine but it's slightly different between the versions of Firefox and DownThemAll.

Hi Both,

I'm trying to get the files for Tynemouth (Preston) cemetery in the UK so it's not on that link (but that is a great resource, thank you).

This is what I'm putting in the box:

image.png.10282304c3b48f31c8a14cfdb929ad42.png

This is what I'm seeing:

image.png.3a824965940553ca4a015c0ba2ceddd3.png

The three that are running aren't, they just aren't downloading and all the other jpg's aren't found.

I'm sure I must be doing something wrong so any help would be great.

Michael

I'm looking but I'm on a phone which Is making life difficult.

You seem to have 748 downloads selected although the range only specifies about 373, I'm not sure how that happens unless you've doubled up the downloads by not clearing an earlier attempt.

Tynecote only has 371 burials for WWI. At about 9 per image that's only about 42 images needed not 373.

I guess by your 373 range which happens to approximate the 371 burials you're thinking it's one image to a person?

TEW

Hi TEW,

I followed the instructions in the post and sorted all the burials by date then hovered on the first and last burials to get the numbers.

I know there are about 371 burials there so I don't really understand what it's doing either.

Michael 

It works here: there are 99 documents downloaded from a possible 374 when I enter https://archive.cloud.cwgc.org/archive/doc/doc5589[509:882].JPG 

I don't think you are doing something wrong but might have a problem with software revisions. Do you the have latest versions?
Let me know if you want me to transfer these files to you.

Examples:

image.jpeg.8d5924e7ddb58516240c8cb3b34f4d44.jpeg

There are documents from other cemeteries in this range, but better too much than missing some:

image.jpeg.367f49f012f33107e50afcc0b1a88e63.jpeg

I think you may need to delete the downloads showing in the manager.

Each attempt at downloading your range adds to the existing downloads in the manager.

Next time you may have 1122 downloads!

I agree that you may not be doing something wrong.

I can't check the range on my phone, it may be correct as you say but they may have many non existent files which come up as red ones.

I still think you'll only end up with less than 50 images.

TEW

Thank you both very much for all your help with this, I've cleared the old downloads out then copied the text LDT006 posted which has now worked and has downloaded 98 documents. I'm not sure what was going on before but I have a load to go through now.

Thank you again for all the help,

Michael

The only thing I can spot is the jpg JPG difference.

I'm sure I recall this having a effect.

Glad it's all sorted.

TEW

I just tried the range that Luc gave a few posts ago and it downloaded 99 of 374. I then changed the extension to jpg from JPG and it failed to download anything!

Quite why CWGC had to capitilise the file extension I don't know but it appears to make a significant difference.

@Shiny I also noticed that you may be missing doc5589483-506 which includes some for Tynemouth.

https://archive.cloud.cwgc.org/archive/doc/doc5589[483:506].JPG

It seems a messy way to store the Tynemouth images as you get a run of them and then suddenly one for Pembrokeshire pops up. If you were looking for that Pembrokeshire GRRF I don't know how you'd find it.

I'll edit the other post to reflect the extension issue.

TEW