Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Annie Muriel Kyrke-Smith at Durrington Larkhill Camp.

Milner

I am researching Annie Muriel Kyrke-Smith, but I can't find anything about her time at Durrington/Larkhill camp. She was named the benificiary in the will of lieutenant Frank Robson Kirkley M.C. who died in Italy in November 1918. It is the shortest will ever accepted by the probate office. The words on the back of her photograph state: "I leave all to her". I have plenty of information on her later life, but would like to know what work could she have been doing at the camp ? There is no indication that she was ever a nurse that I can find.

On 09/02/2024 at 17:13, Milner said:

I am researching Annie Muriel Kyrke-Smith, but I can't find anything about her time at Durrington/Larkhill camp. She was named the benificiary in the will of lieutenant Frank Robson Kirkley M.C. who died in Italy in November 1918. It is the shortest will ever accepted by the probate office. The words on the back of her photograph state: "I leave all to her". I have plenty of information on her later life, but would like to know what work could she have been doing at the camp ? There is no indication that she was ever a nurse that I can find.

Perhaps running an officers rest home?  There were various rest homes, canteens, reading rooms, etc. run in garrisons across Britain and Ireland during the war.  To preserve discipline these were delineated by the traditional rank groupings either, formally, or informally.  The officers versions generally tried to be comfortable and provide a quiet space to read newspapers, play bridge, etc. and get some refreshments.  Perhaps the young lady was running one of these, or merely working in one as a volunteer. They were usually charitable affairs rather than commercial.  I’ve no idea if she was, but this is a suggested line of inquiry.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thanks Frogsmile, lots more food for thought in your reply.  She was an educated woman from a privileged background. So she would be at home with most of the officer class at that the time. She must have made quite an impression on lieutenant Frank Robson Kirkley M.C.

34 minutes ago, Milner said:

she would be at home with most of the officer class at that the time. She must have made quite an impression on lieutenant Frank Robson Kirkley M.C.

I think that you have aptly summed up the likely scenario.