The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Sugar scuttle

lornabex

I got this item from a charity shop and done some Google search on the Battalion but is there a way of finding out about W Stiff and why he was presented the sugar scuttle. 

• Admin
1 hour ago, lornabex said:

I got this item from a charity shop and done some Google search on the Battalion but is there a way of finding out about W Stiff and why he was presented the sugar scuttle. 

Welcome to the GWF

Your post has been approved but seems to be missing something :doh:

Hello Lorna,

there are a few W. Stiffs on the medal roll index cards. In some cases the W is the middle name initial though it wasn’t that uncommon for a person to use their middle name both verbally and in officialdom. 
I believe Ken is hoping to see a photo of the sugar scuttle (as am I and no doubt other members).

On top of photos and although you found the item in a charity shop often these items haven’t travelled that far from source, if you can say where you found it, it may narrow down the search though there are only a small number of men awarded medals with his unusual surname. You could read the ‘long long trail’ site which is linked above, It’s full of great information and tips about WW1. I’m assuming it is a WW1 item but it may be earlier or later. A photo would really help.

Simon

13 hours ago, lornabex said:

17075165854082008935936191620167.jpg.f570ba2de536e8af1c952b2f9d0d43e3.jpg

You can read about Provisional Battalions here: https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/the-territorial-force/provisional-brigades-and-battalions/

The 106th were in the 7th Provisional Brigade and apparently at Clacton-upon-Sea in Essex.

It would’ve been unusual for Stiff to not have a rank quoted had he been a soldier and a sugar scuttle wouldn’t have been much use to him in that role either.  Accordingly I think it’s very possible that he was a civilian and that the signallers were probably billeted with him somewhere at or near Clacton.

Most of the Provisional Battalions were located in and around seaside towns and resorts, where former guest houses were commandeered as soldiers accommodation by the War Office and the owners paid a set rate for bed and board.  The signallers themselves would have been Territorials (part-timers) who, unlike regular soldiers, were often middle-class men and not that remote in social strata from the proprietor himself.

I suspect that Stiff was perhaps a proprietor of such a guesthouse or private dwelling and that he looked after the signallers of the 106th well, maybe providing them plentifully with hot sweet tea when they came in from training.  An online search of archived local news and trade papers with advertising might reveal his name and address.

Edited by FROGSMILE

3 minutes ago, lornabex said:

Thank you, lovely piece of history to add to my collection. 

I’m glad to help, but can’t guarantee that the scenario I’ve outlined is definite, although I believe it to be likely for the reasons and rationale that I’ve outlined.  Perhaps you can do some research focused on the Clacton area, that is what I would advise.  There are all kinds of trade and gazetteer records available online where you might find something.

Anyway, good luck with your further research.

Will keep you updated if I do. I did find there was a Miltary Hospital there, interesting reading.