Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Map Keys - Orchards ?

MERLINV12

One for the map experts, I have looked at some map keys, but cannot find one that shows the symbol for an Orchard, rather than a wood or forest, does anyone know if 1918 Western Front maps differentiated between Orchards & Woods ?

Looking for an Orchard,  1 3/4 of a mile east of Villers-Pol (51a ?) (November 1918).

TIA.

I cant find a key for orchards, but when viewing different trench maps woods have scattered trees and marks between them whereas orchards have organised rows and no marks between.

4 minutes ago, EDWARD1 said:

I cant find a key for orchards, but when viewing different trench maps woods have scattered trees and marks between them whereas orchards have organised rows and no marks between.

Thanks for your reply, that is what I assumed, but wanted confirmation.

Yes, British, French and German maps all had the capability to differentiate, bit I don't recall seen it done very much.  @Howard will know.

image.png.811c551f42173deb3c5a49ae64478089.png

Bill,

Thanks for that, I'm afraid you may be correct as the map I am looking at depicts a wood, rather than orchard in the approx spot, but I need to be sure (another of my visit the spot trips).

Michael.

I'm going to have to admit to a novice mistake, I have the image below, but didn't record the source, can anyone tell me the source or the Sheet No, please. According to McMaster & NLS anything east of Villers-Pol doesn't exist !

VILLERS-POL1.jpg.2df52d4a422c271c7d3b024d0ca747a3.jpg

That's a really awkward area as it straddles Sheet 51a.L (Villers-Pol) and Sheet 51.G heading to Wargnies-le-Petit.  TrenchMapper has a few of Villers-Pol but nothing that straddles the area you want.

Your maps look a little like Linesman maps so maybe if you know anyone with Linesman you can try there?

I don't recall knowing anyone with Linesman, so am at a loss as to where I got it.

1 hour ago, MERLINV12 said:

I don't recall knowing anyone with Linesman

But you do!  I knew it was Linesman so I checked back on your previous posts and you had a lengthy correspondence with Guy, the company founder.  You can tell at a glance he has expertly joined 2 Linesman and 2 conventional trench maps together at the corners.  You can just see the minor differences in roads and contour lines where they join.  The very same map you posted can be found on the thread below together with the comments from the company founder on how he did it, plus your responses to him.

Cheers, Bill

Bill,

To the rescue yet again, what would I do without you !

In my defence, before posting I had searched "My Followed Content" on here, (I am assuming any thread I create would be followed), and did not find the thread you have, I have just repeated the search, and it is still not there.

So, how/where you found it, I have no idea, my dementia must be far more advanced than I thought :wacko:.

However all that said, the point of my post was to find a larger map than the image I posted, so I could try to find the "orchard" between the coloured lines but to the south, just off the map maybe ?

So, need to go away and read the posts carefully and see if I can find the maps he stitched together, so I can look for the "orchard".

THANKS again.

Michael.

On 09/02/2024 at 11:51, WhiteStarLine said:

Yes, British, French and German maps all had the capability to differentiate, bit I don't recall seen it done very much.  @Howard will know.

image.png.811c551f42173deb3c5a49ae64478089.png

Have at look at TrenchMapper's Knowledge Centre under Help then select Map Scales & Legend.

Most map legends (keys) are there.

Howard

@WhiteStarLine So, I have found the map I needed and stitched onto the composite one that Guy did for me, and it is now easier to see the situation.

However, the 2nd Battalion Coldstream Diary, entry for the day is confusing (well it is for me), could you please read through the highlighted section of attached .pdf, and pass an opinion as to who the writer is referring to, the Coldstreams or the Grenadiers ? and to which wood ? From “The right front company……………………”. 

It has already been said earlier in the highlighted section that the Coldstreams had missed the intended wood completely, and weren’t where they were supposed to be, and the Grenadiers were not in touch with them. Is the writer referring to the Grenadiers ?

For context, Nos: 1 & 2 were the leading companies, No:4 in support (my GF) and No:3 in reserve.

Also on the map, I have marked what could possibly be Orchards, however they are not exactly as the key suggests.

WD Account.pdf

Wood with BLUE outline was intended to be on their left during attack.

Wood & Le Flaque Farm mistaken for BLUE wood is outlined in RED.

COMPO4.jpg.5f9b64ea4df8fdd0d1338d1cf80fe916.jpg

Edited by MERLINV12